Thursday, April 02, 2009

thankful thursday

I have heard that you can increase your happiness by 25% just by listing the things you are thankful for. And I am all in for that. Now, my list --

I am thankful for.....

1. The lovely spring weather. Even if it is only going to hang around for a day or so.

2. Abby's beautiful new red coat -- pictures to come -- that Granny got for her for a steal. It's a lovely flared trench coat (look at me pretending I know what I'm talking about) and it makes her so happy to wear it. She even wore it to take out the recycling tonight.

3. Abby's very awesome report card. I think my favourite comment in the whole thing was this one -- "Abby sings music from a variety of cultures with considerable appreciation and understanding." That's my sweet little girl.

4. Abby being so awesome. Abby was playing with some friends after school and one kid suggested they go play at another kid's house. The rules for playing outside are simple -- she can't got past x's house in one direction and y's house in the other direction (for the purposes of bike riding) and if she is playing at someone's house then she needs to stay there unless she's cleared it with Mike or I first. Well the suggestion of this kid broke both rules, so Abby told them she wasn't allowed to go. One of them told her to "disobey her parents", but she stood firm. She came home in tears, her feelings hurt, because they all went off to play without her, but she told me she knew she would be in trouble if she went and that we had rules to keep her safe. Mega proud parenting moment for Mike and I both.

5. Maya -- just for being Maya. Earlier this week she wandered away from Grandma while shopping at WalMart which led to a missing child announcement and likely took 10 years of Grandma's life. For her part Maya came through her big adventure with a smile on her face and she is still telling us multiple times a day that "Gramma was missing" and "Gramma was cwyin".

What are you thankful for?

3 comments:

Chantal said...

Oh man, #5 scary. #4 Yay for Abby!
I did my own thankful Thursday (finally).

Betsy Hart said...

:( That is scarey for #5. I am soooo glad they have that Adam alert in most businesses. It has saved sooo many children.

And #4 tell her how proud all your blog readers are of her!! What a good girl. She sounds alot like my M with her singing. :)

Shan said...

Chantal - Well Maya didn't seem to think it was any big deal, but the adults, of course, felt differently. And Abby -- she's just a rock star.

Betsy - Yes, it's great. I was very thankful for their quick response.