Friday, May 01, 2009

friday high five - nature walk photos

There was a million reasons to say no on Sunday night when my pal ML called and asked if instead of our regular walk around the neighbourhood, would we rather take our kids and our husbands and walk around the Royal Botanical Gardens. It was free to get in after six on Sundays --

but

I had laundry piled up everywhere in various stages of doneness. Going out at six on a school night was pushing it a bit with the girl's bedtimes. The house looked like we'd been letting goats live in here all weekend. And I hadn't even looked in Abby's school bag yet. She could have had a diorama of the CN Tower due on Monday for all I knew. Yep, a million reasons to say no, but when Mike asked me -- what do you think? I said, I think we don't do stuff like this -- ever. We should go.

So we went.

And the kids ran around like crazy. And we had ice cream. And fed a swan. And laughed. A lot. And that led to another photo Friday High Five (hosted by Angela's Adventures and Minor Mishaps). Here are my five favourite pictures from the eleventy million I took.

080044


Here a Mommy goose sits on her nest. The Daddy goose was not happy we stopped to snap a picture. Abby thought this was the coolest thing. Next to seeing the swan land on the lake.

080050


I'm not really one for taking "artsy" shots (a term I am using loosely here), but I thought there was a category for flower pictures in the photo section of the fair this year. I was mistaken, which is too bad because I really like this picture. It was dusk and I like how the rest of the picture is muted, but you can see these islands of bright spring flowers. It looks like I played with it in photoshop, but I didn't.

080038


Mike and I weren't sure how Maya would do on our excursion. She's been known to lie down on the ground and refuse to move when we've attempted outings in the past. That night, she was awesome. Look at her -- so pink and happy and having fun!

080015


My little tourists, posing in front of the natural amphitheater. Gotta love those boots.

080042


I am so thankful to ML for snapping this picture. I love the muted colours of early spring. It really brings your focus to all the colour in our little family unit. I will certainly be printing one of these to frame for my desk. Love it.

8 comments:

Mommy Project said...

Beautiful pictures, Shan! Glad you had such a lovely walk.
And...
"She could have had a diorama of the CN Tower due on Monday for all I knew"...
Ha ha ha ha ha!
That is so funny. Thanks for the morning laugh. :0)

Erin said...

oh wow.... flowers... sigh... I can't wait until we see more than 2" of green popping up from the ground here! Spring sure can't come soon enough this year! Looks like you had a great time... and great photos!

Leah said...

Minus that hint of green on the ground, that last one looks like another photoshopped pic! It's awesome, and I can definately understand why you'd want to print it.

Glad you had such a nice outing. It's fun to change things up a bit and throw the regular routine out the window.

PS Connor's been known to throw himself down and refuse to move on outings as well. PUNKS!

Angela said...

Great pics! I esp like the flower pic and imagine how it would look if you did play with it a bit! I think we need to go on an outing now but I must look in the boys' book bags to check for any due dioramas!!! Thanks for joining in!!

Merry said...

Great pics! Maya looks like a movie star in those glasses!

Julie said...

Love the flower shot. It's gorgeous. And the family picture is aweseom. Definitely one to be printed.

Betsy Hart said...

That is definately a wonderful family shot!!

Shan said...

MP - it was very nice thanks.

Erin - it is nice to see

Leah - it's so much fun when they do that isn't it?

Angela - thanks for hosting it.

Meryy - she loves her sunglasses and has multiple pairs

Julie - Yeah I wish there was a category for it.

Betsy - thanks.