Sunday, June 28, 2009

attending open house was a bad idea

I love my house. I love my neighbourhood. I have zero interest in moving. And then this beautiful old house up the street went up for sale. It is way out of my price range and the taxes are double what we pay here. I'm not even allowing myself to think about what the utilities would run me.

Even knowing all that I still went to the open house today and of course fell in love with it. Even though I realize it's not meant to be I still uttered the following statements -- out loud -- to my pal Jenni.

Oh the Christmas tree could go right there.

My girls would have bedrooms that were larger than a closet.

With all this counter space think of all the cookies I could bake.

There'd be a guest room for Uncle Dave and Auntie Mel.

This is the house I need.

Jen! Think of the movie nights we could have here!

Also in my head I was planning out where I'd put my furniture and which bedroom would belong to which kid. I am in for certain heartbreak when this place actually sells.

6 comments:

Mommy Project said...

We decided not to go -- I may have fallen for the place, too, and then if it had bigger/more bedrooms I would have started planning the next baby. That would have led to the need for a different vehicle...ahh...just a whole expensive deal...

Leah said...

For me, I don't like my house, but I love the size yard we have (even though it's in desperate need of landscaping to make it far more usable), I love our neighbors, and I love our town. If I were to move into the house I felt would better fit our needs size and design-wise, we'd have a tiny little yard and I'd be in the way wrong town, with a whole new set of neighbors. and so, here we are! with dreams of having millions to someday remodel and make this place what we (okay I) want. *grin*

Julie said...

This is why I restrain myself from going to Open Houses. We are not in the house that we want to spend the rest of our lives in. we knew it was a starter home when we moved in. but now I want something else and there is no way we can do that quite yet, so i have to stop myself from house hunting. maybe in a couple of years...

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

I am about to do this to myself tonight at 7 pm. Not only is it not an Open House, but it is a Scheduled Appointment. Our loft is on the wrong side of the tracks. Mind you, if we were on the right side, which this loft we are going to see is on the exactly right side, we would not have the amazing skyline view we have.

Parking at the loft we are going to see is $30K - yes, you read correctly. 1 (one) parking spot is $30,000 on top of the sales price. The nice thing is, we would get a funky cool lobby (ours is ok), a meeting room we could have big parties in, and a fitness center. We'd lose our view, our massive balcony, we won't be the first to have lived in it (like we are here), and who knows what else until we see it. The unit is at least $50K more than where we are. Just to say we are on the right side of the tracks. Hmmmmmmm.....

Betsy Hart said...

I am just thinking at this point, I would love ANY house!

Shan said...

MP - yeah that was probably a better strategy.

Leah - I'd love to have the money to remodel and put on an addition. The girls bedrooms are tiny, but all the other stuff about living here is so great I'm willing to overlook it.

Julie - That's a good plan. Avoid the heart ache.

WW - Yikes!

Betsy - no matter where you are it's always nice to have a dream.