Saturday, June 20, 2009

jammie movie night

Tonight marked the third edition of Jammie Movie Night. I have to say I'm still surprised that I had this idea and then actually went through with it. I have a lot of those kinds of ideas, but never see them through to fruition. I know a lot of people like to start book clubs. I'm going to start lobbying heavily for ladies to start their own jammie movie night.

Now you may be thinking -- why jammies? I mean obviously I love my jammies, you all know that. Bigger than that I think we're all hard working ladies. We work in and/or outside of our homes. We have families to look after. This is a night set aside for relaxing. And what better to relax in than jammies? There's no "outfit" to worry about. Just come as you are, grab a piece of couch and put your feet up. Every month I pick a date and that's it. There's no pressure to attend. If you can make it -- great, if not we'll see you next month.

So far we've been keeping the movies on the lighter side. I doubt very much you'll be seeing a flick like Slumdog Millionaire on the docket. That's just my personal preference though. I want to hang with my besties and have a chuckle. What I don't want to do is to be weeping into my kleenex over an abducted child. The first two movies were definitely from the chick flick files -- Sex and the City & Bride Wars. Tonight we dipped into some comedy and watched Role Models -- very funny. I imagine we'll bounce between the two genres each month.

I can't tell you how much I look forward to this evening every month. Abby and Maya look forward to it too -- I think that has something to do with them getting to stay up way past their bedtime while they watch their own movie in my bed. Oh and 'cause Heather brings them chocolate. And the ladies seem to enjoy it as well. I hope we can continue this for a long long time. Long enough to become one of those human interest stories you read about in the paper. I can see the headlines already -- Local Ladies celebrate 25 Years of Movie Nights.

4 comments:

Betsy Hart said...

I WANNA GO!!! If only I had friends locally to share in this tradition. :(

Jamie said...

Now THAT is a fab idea! And with the ladies in their jammies, nothing like a good chick flick, huh? Me, too, I wish I lived nearby!

Mommy Project said...

Yep - it's pretty great. I'm so glad you started this...and I'm so lucky I live right across the street!!
:0)

Leah said...

LOVE this! Some of my cousins and I were doing a "girl's night" here and there for awhile, but one got crazy busy with work (she's a flight attendant), another moved over an hour away, and that sort of turned into the end of it. I have contemplated starting it up again with some girlfriends, but the one claims to not be able to stay up much past 9pm, another one doesn't think her hubby would appreciate her leaving him mid-week to be HERE (or appreciate us all being THERE), and the other gals have hubbys who travel for work A LOT. In the end, it just starts to sound like more hassle than it's worth. But hearing you hype it up makes me really want to push for it!!!!

GLad you had a great time. I hadn't heard of Role Model before. And I'd lvoe to see Bride Wars at some point.

If you're up for some tasteless hilarity, wait for The Hangover to come out on video and do that for a movie night. I don't know anyone who hasn't thought THAT was hilarious...