Sunday, June 14, 2009

peanut, peanut butter....

Today I made my first attempt at canning and cooked me up some grape jelly. Why, you ask when there is perfectly good Welch's grape jelly available on my supermarket shelf? Well I guess "you" didn't really ask, but my pal Jenni did via facebook. Well my reasons are threefold --

Number 1 - I love grape jelly.

B - I have an interest in learning how to can. I have the canning pot and everything.

#4 - I have heard that grape jelly is an easy beginner project.

So I followed the instructions the best I could and now I have several jars setting up on my counter in the kitchen. I guess I'll know better this time tomorrow if the whole experiment was successful or not. I have to admit I'm not feeling very confident. Probably because I have zero canning experience. I've never actually seen anybody can anything before in my life. And on top of that all the information I read seemed to contradict the last thing I read by just a tiny bit.

But as of right now this is what I know for sure about canning.

  • Reread and reread and reread again the recipe you're using to make sure you have a firm grasp on the task at hand. Oh and it's probably a good idea to just read the one recipe. Reading several will really muck things up for you.
  • While not necessary a canning funnel is worth every penny. I currently don't have one, but I will be amending that ASAP.
  • Ditto that magnetic thingy that helps you pick up the hot lids when it's time to seal the jars up.
  • Also a jar lifter for when the time comes to take you hot jars out of the canning bath. I managed without any of those items, but it would have been so much easier if I'd had them.
So keep your fingers crossed that this turns out to be a success. If so there's a grape jelly category at the fair one of these jars may be destined for.

6 comments:

Karen said...

Hey Shan. I consider myself a veteran canner. And I have a tip for you that you already know of course: Cdn Tire and Home Hardware both sell a canning set that includes the magnetic lifter, a great funnel, tongs, jar lifter and and lid tightener for about 10 bucks. I see if on the shelves every year. I bought it years back and I still use it every time I can.

Karen said...

Meant to say "that you MAY already know".... otherwise what I wrote makes little sense. :)

Chantal said...

I am sure it will be great. I always told myself that the jars that didn't seal properly just wanted to be eaten sooner :)

Mommy Project said...

I know what you mean about the contradictory instructions...I got a few books out from the library about canning last year and after reading through them I gave up on the whole idea! If yours works out, and you aren't feeling tramatized, I may try again (maybe with some insights from my FB). Good Luck! :0)

Betsy Hart said...

I got a jar of homemade Boysenberry jam this year for christmas and REALLY wish I could even think about canning, but there is really no way with work, and school, and three kids, and church. I HAVE NO TIME! :( Hope yours turns out well though :)

Shan said...

Karen - I actually didn't know about that. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to pick one up. The canning section at Wally is sorely lacking.

Chantal - it turned out kinda okay. I think.

MP - It was in no way a slam dunk, but I'm encouraged enough to try strawberry jam. I'll let you know how it goes. ML says we should have a canning party.

Betsy - Thanks. I can imagine you don't have time.