Tuesday, June 23, 2009

what's cooking wednesday - bacon wrapped tenderloin

I love love love my barbecue. We bought it a couple of years ago and it's definitely an improvement over our old one. It's far from the top of the line, but it's fancy enough that's it still inspiring me to try new things. One day while I was engaged in one of those mindless internet surfing sessions. You know the kind -- you start out at a web page you like and you click a link and you click a link and you click a link and so on until you're out in uncharted (for you) internet waters. Sometimes you can end up at a really great site with no idea how you got there. Well the day I found this recipe was one of those days.

I am not a fan of pork chops really. I mean they're okay and I used to eat them, but then I got pregnant and I was just done with them. You ladies know how that can happen. Well 7 years later I'm still not over being done with them. I do love pork tenderloin though. Mmmm. I may actually love it too much since Michael is now officially done with the tenderloin, but I do the meal planning -- so it sucks to be him.

bacon wrapped pork tenderloin


Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin

1 pork tenderloin
1 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp cracked black pepper
bacon

Spread out a piece of tinfoil on your counter. Spread the cup pf sugar and the pepper on top. Lay your tenderloin on top of the sugar/pepper mixture and roll the tenderloin around until it's coated. Move your tenderloin off to the side of the tinfoil and lay out your bacon on top of any leftover sugar/pepper mixture. Overlap the strips of bacon until it's as wide as the tenderloin. Place the tenderloin on top of the bacon and roll it up in the bacon -- jelly roll style. Use the tinfoil to help you. Wrap the tenderloin up in the tinfoil and let it rest in the fridge for an hour or more.

Cook this seam side down, on a pre-heated grill, for 3 - 4 minutes per side until the bacon is nearly cooked. Then turn off the burner directly under the tenderloin and continue cooking via indirect heat for 30-ish minutes or until the pork is cooked through.

Recipe Notes: Okay this was delicious, but a tad labour intensive. It's not the easiest thing to be moving around the grill. Oh and it's not a weekday recipe. Nope, save it for the weekend when you have time to fuss over it. If you are a fan of tenderloin I really do recommend it. It's a nice sweet spicy balance.





What is What's Cooking Wednesday and how can I play?

What's cooking Wednesday was born out of a desire to get out of that what's for dinner rut. Playing is easy, on Wednesday post a recipe that has been tried and tested by you and then pop over here and add your name to the Mr. Linky. When entering your name also add the name of the recipe in brackets and make sure you link to your What's Cooking Wednesday post and not just your blog's front page. And don't forget to link back here, the home of What's Cooking Wednesday.

So for example I would write Shan (Speedy Chicken Stir Fry) in the name section. For the URL section I would post this: http://shanrev.blogspot.com/2007/10/whats-cooking-wednesday-speedy-chicken.html

I'll let you in on a little secret, my WCW recipes are almost never made on a Wednesday. So feel free to cook and photograph whenever you have time and join us posting on Wednesday

7 comments:

Mariposa said...

Oh, I think my Dad would love this...it looks YUMMY!

Karen said...

That sounds amazing! I plan to try this once the move is done.

Heather... said...

Oh man. You have me drooling. This recipe would make me start eating pork again! Tenderloin and bacon are the only pork products I miss (I haven't eaten them since my cleanse last year and now I can't digest it! Weird eh?!)

Julie said...

We had pork tenderloin tonight. Actually I made a great marinade with molases. This is one that I will have to try next time. Thanks about the tip for making it a weekend thing and not a week night. I'm always rushing and we never seem to eat before 6!

Unknown said...

Wow, that looks amazing. It reminds me of the sweet and spicy bacon I made for Easter which was lovely too.

I finally figured out what I had to do on my computer to make Mr. Linky like me again. Sorry for teh repeated links the last couple of weeks.

Leah said...

I'm sure my husband is wondering right about now why he didn't marry you instead of me...

Jen said...

Yay! I can comment now! This looks so amazing and it's something my guys would drool over - pork with pork - what could be better?