Monday, July 06, 2009

let's review - pc fresh meat

A while ago I was approached by my buddy at the PR firm asking if I was interested in giving the new President's Choice fresh meat a try.

PC's new line has increased the amount of meat that it's sourcing from Canadian producers. In fact all of the PC Free From chicken is Canadian produced. And what exactly is Free From chicken (or beef or pork for that matter) - the free from line are raised without the use of antibiotics or hormones in the case of the beef. The pork is sourced mainly from small family farms in Ontario, Quebec and Alberta. The air chilled chicken is grain fed - no animal by-products and is Ontario and BC sourced. PC is also carrying a certified Angus Beef line as well. Angus beef must meet 10 strict specifications regarding marbling, carcass weight and defects. The PC tender and tasty line promises a steak house experience at home.

I have to say Mike and I were more than impressed with the quality and the taste of the steak we tried. The marbling was bang on, which made for an incredibly tender and tasty steak. In the past I have been disappointed with steak purchased at the grocery store, but this was some of the best steak we've ever had.

In addition we also received the PC sea salt and peppercorn grinder. I totally love this. It is the perfect ratio of salt to pepper. I really like that it has an easily adjustable grinder since I like a coarse grind to my pepper. And it has a handy snap on cover to keep moisture from getting into your pepper/salt. Triple love it.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I'm so impressed that so many of the big chains are now "getting it" and using more local sourcing and more naturally-produced food. It's a step in the right direction, at least.

The salt/pepper grinder sounds intriguing. I always vary what I put on, based on the flavors in the food, but for something like steak or hamburgers, etc., I think that might be lovely. I loved Montreal Steak Seasoning, but then I found out that McCormack's (the best) has msg, and I get headaches from msg, so now I'm trying to come up with my own blend that mimics it.