Thursday, July 09, 2009

you capture - food

Photobucket



There was actually two themes for this week's you capture - food and independence day. It was an easy choice for me since I'm Canadian. Really I take a lot of pictures of food for WCW posts, but this was a different kind of thought process all together.

This morning Mike and I decided to make some strawberry jam. Canning is not something I've ever done before nor do I remember ever helping anyone with the process. Thank goodness he agreed to help me. And you know what -- we both really enjoyed it. It was remarkably easier than I was anticipating and we actually had quite a bit of fun. Now I have a list of recipes as long as my arm that we'd like to give a whirl.

020001


Mike picked up some beautiful strawberries from a farmer's market minutes from our front door.

020009


Maya helped with the hulling, passing Mike each individual strawberry. Abby helped with the mashing and the stirring once we added sugar and lemon juice.

020010


It was fun for the whole family.

020011


I have to admit I was more than relieved that it looked and smelled like jam. Took me right back to my Grandma's house when I was a little girl.

020013


Processing the jam in my brand new canning pot. Thanks Grandma Linda & Papa.

020018


After I got the canning pot I had picked up a book on canning and when we finished up with the jam I came across a recipe for red onion (The Mommy Project likes to call it purple onion) jelly. Now I love red pepper jelly and I love red onions. Since we were in a canning mood/rhythm we thought we'd just keep going and give it a try.

020020


Doesn't it look pretty?

You Capture - hosted by:

Photobucket

7 comments:

Mommy Project said...

Purple onion jelly, huh? I've never tried it. But if you weren't already, you are now officially my hero! Look at you - canning!

My fav. pic in the series is the one with Abby's reflection in the pot. That is a cute picture!!

Betsy Hart said...

That looks YUM O! And I agree with Mommy Project, the one with her reflection is adorable!

Alice said...

i love the photo where you can see your little girl in the side of the pot :O), so cute! i can almost smell the jam too, by the way - you're making me hungry!

Unknown said...

Pretty? I think it is GORGEOUS! All those lovely strawberries. Yum in my tum! : )

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

There used to be a nightclub in Pickering, Ajax or Whitby called The Purple Onion. Long time ago. I call them purple onions too. Sorry. The outside looks purple to me. But when you canned it, it looked red.

Anonymous said...

Great job!! I am so jealous of your canning pot, I so need one!! Also never heard of purple onion jelly, but it sure looks pretty!

Shan said...

MP - Aww thanks buddy! Yeah I like that one too.

Betsy - Thanks.

Alice - It smelled great and I like that one too.

Life with Kaishon - thanks!

WW - Oh that's funny.

Newlyweds - I love my canning pot.