Saturday, August 01, 2009

introducing lillybell

About a month or so before school ended Abby's teacher sent a note home asking for a meeting. Mike and I went into the meeting expecting it to be about Abby's struggle with math. We were wrong. Turns out our little princess is not where she should be in regards to reading. I have to admit I was momentarily stunned when I heard since Abby spends a fair bit of time with her nose buried in a book.

Her teacher feels that what's holding her back is more a confidence issue rather than Abby lacking skills. When she does read aloud if she comes across a word she doesn't know she just stops reading and waits for you to prompt her. With help and coaxing she can sound the word out, but seems unwilling to attempt it on her own. Her teacher has informed the second grade teacher that Abby is a student that she had some concerns about, so going into next year Abby will have resource time available to her should it be needed.

I have to admit I've been pretty lax with the homework so far this summer. We've done some reading and she's spent time on a school approved reading website, but we haven't done as much as we should. This week I resolved to be better. Thanks to ML I have a stack of grade/age appropriate work books. I pulled out some pages for Abby to work on. I thought it might be helpful to mix things up a bit. So one of the pages gave her instructions for a picture she was to draw. She had to read, but she got to do some art as well. One was a scavenger hunt where she had to count things like all the light switches in the house. So she was getting her reading in, but also - hopefully - having a little fun.

The first night was somewhat of a disaster. Abby was frustrated by her own "inability" to read. I was frustrated by her "inability" to try. I could see the evening was disintegrating fast. My patience was wearing thin and Abby was on the verge of tears. We've since had a talk - a pep talk - about the importance of trying. Oh how I wish she could apply "Abby the artist" to "Abby; learning to read". When it comes to art or music her report cards are littered with statements like - very sure of herself and high degree of effectiveness.

As we painfully finished up our last bit of work that first night I was suddenly reminded of Elwood, our Christmas Elf who was in charge of family fun. Abby so looked forward to receiving Elwood's notes of instruction every day I was pretty sure the same principal would work here. Just like that Lillybell, The Homework Fairy was born.

We've used a shoebox on Abby's dresser to act as a mailbox between us and Lillybell. Every night Abby leaves her completed homework pages in the box and while she sleeps Lillybell marks them, leaves an encouraging note and the next evening's homework assignment. So far it's made the whole homework portion of our day go 75% easier. I think now Abby feels like it's an assignment we have to complete together rather than just some school work I'm making her do. Thank goodness for Lillybell.

7 comments:

Jen said...

You are such a great mom, Shan! What a lovely way to get Abby more relaxed about reading. C had the same confidence issues and then had a jump when he simply got more practice.

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

Great idea!! Welcome, Lilibell!!

Goofball said...

yeay for Lillybell. I really hope she gains confidence in reading as reading is so much fun once you get the hang of it!

septembermom said...

You are a wonderful mom! You're giving her the right encouragement and support. My son used to fight reading. Now he looks for a book without any push from me. It all will happen in time :)

Betsy Hart said...

That is an absolutely wonderful idea! Can't wait to hear how it continues!!

Shan said...

Jen - aww thanks. I appreciate that. I find already there have been small improvements.

WW - she's been a huge help so far.

Goofball - I hope so too.

Septembermom - thanks. I'm hoping so.

Betsy - thanks. I'll keep you posted.

Goofball said...

I just read this post: http://virtualsprite.blogspot.com/2009/08/read.html

and had to think of you. What a great idea to have the kids read out to the dogs as a confidence booster. Would Lillybell make such suggestions too?