Tuesday, August 04, 2009

what's cooking wednesday - brownies

Okay I'm about to make another shocking admission here folks. Sit down and hold on to your hats. I don't make my own brownies. There I said it. When I was pregnant with Maya I relied heavily on boxed brownie mix, but I have yet to find a from scratch brownie recipe that I want to keep around. It's something that is sorely lacking from my recipe box, but yet I never think to search out a good recipe. So I did this weekend.

Brownies


Brooke's Best Bombshell Brownies

1 cup butter, melted
3 cups white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 eggs
1 1/1 cups all purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup semi sweet chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9X13 pan.

Combine melted butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each egg, until thoroughly blended.

Sift together the flour, cocoa powder and salt. Gradually stir the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture until well blended. Stir in the chocolate chips. Spread batter evenly into the prepared baking dish.

Bake in a preheated oven until an inserted toothpick comeso ut clean, 35 - 40 minutes. Remove and cool pan before cutting.

Recipes Notes: These were a huge hit. They are the perfect fudgy brownie. I did follow the advice of some reviewers over at allrecipes and make them with half brown sugar and half white. I think next go round I'll try all white sugar just to see what the difference is. I also loved that this recipe made a 9X13 pan. An 8 inch pan doesn't quite cut it when you're making brownies for a crowd.




What is What's Cooking Wednesday and how can I play?

What's cooking Wednesday was born out of a desire to get out of that what's for dinner rut. Playing is easy, on Wednesday post a recipe that has been tried and tested by you and then pop over here and add your name to the Mr. Linky. When entering your name also add the name of the recipe in brackets and make sure you link to your What's Cooking Wednesday post and not just your blog's front page. And don't forget to link back here, the home of What's Cooking Wednesday.

So for example I would write Shan (Speedy Chicken Stir Fry) in the name section. For the URL section I would post this: http://shanrev.blogspot.com/2007/10/whats-cooking-wednesday-speedy-chicken.html

I'll let you in on a little secret, my WCW recipes are almost never made on a Wednesday. So feel free to cook and photograph whenever you have time and join us posting on Wednesday

8 comments:

Betsy Hart said...

Any chance at all you can come to Oregon and make me brownies??

Jen said...

Shan - these look wonderful, and I'm going to try them, but my fave recipe came from Marye of Baking Delights:

http://www.blisstree.com/bakingdelights/perfect-browniesenter-chocolate-xanadu/#more-1316

She's not kidding. These are Xanadu. Seriously.

Like you, I never made my own brownies. I really DO like Ghirardelli and Duncan Hines, but since Marye's recipe, I've never gone back. I want to try yours, too, though, because a. the pic looks awesome and it's just my kind of brownie, and b. the butter in Marye's recipe actually SCARES me. ;-)

Kaci said...

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

Shan said...

Betsy - that would be nice wouldn't it?

Jen - I'll have to check that recipe out. Thanks for mentioning the picture. I was very pleased/proud of it after I took it. Trying to improve my food photog skills.

Kaci - you said it!

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

Shan, I'm always looking for a new fudgey brownie recipe and I'll be trying out your recipe. The photo looks great.

TM said...

Shannon - I tried the brownies (even without the chocolate chips b/c it turned out I was out of them - again! How does that happen so fast?!) and they were PERFECT! That's my new favorite brownie recipe - THANKS!!

Shan said...

Joy - thanks for visiting. And thanks for the comment on the picture. I like it very much myself.

Tessa - I meant to mention in my post that I didn't have a cup of chocolate chips left and they turned out fine without them. They are great brownies.

Angela said...

I made your iceing and it was great
That was a while back though.

Your girls are keeping you busy.
Summer splashing is fun.
We only have a baby pool in the backyard but I somehow still seem to get drenched.

Smiles