Thursday, August 13, 2009

you capture - movement

Photobucket


Well this week's you capture prompt was movement and I was really looking forward to capturing all the movement in this busy house of mine. I wasn't expecting to get the shots I did get this week. As I may have mentioned Mike has been doing some work for our dairy farming friends whenever they need an extra set of hands. Last week that involved moving some bales of straw from the field back to the barn. Due to some sort of a mechanical hiccup the baler caught fire and was destroyed. Thankfully T, who was operating the baler at the time, was okay, but it meant they lost a lot of working time while the fire was put out and they regrouped.

I freely admit to some mild "panic" until I had the official word that everyone (T especially) was safe and accounted for and everything was okay. A few hours later ML showed up and we loaded my girls into the truck and headed out to the field to survey the damage and see our hardworking boys. Before we left she said grab your camera, the sun's setting and you could get some shots of x,y and z. I love friends that get me! So off we went.

010031


Okay, so while not technically a movement shot, how could I post that story without posting a picture of the baler? Just imagine how fast T was moving when he was trying to get the baler out of the dry straw and then get it unhooked from the tractor before they lost the tractor as well.

010016


And since everyone was alive and safe and well. We let the girls have a little fun. And yes, they could actually move it. Strong girls I have. Actually, straw is really light. You'd be surprised.

010009


I'm not really sure which of these is my favourite. Mike likes the one that's further away. I think I'm more partial to the one closer. That's my Michael in the tractor and trailer. That's T loading him up with bales. These shots are straight out of the camera. I may go back and play with them a bit.

010021


And we also had some movement fun at home too.

020031


It's finally been warm enough for the pool and my fishy girls are loving it.

020039


Creative Mom that I am, I got the idea to put our plastic slide into the pool, only it floated. So Mike drilled some holes in it and there you have it -- water slide. The girls love it and we are now truly getting our money's worth out of the adventure climber.

you capture -- hosted by:

Photobucket

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Great photo! I, too, am glad everyone is ok. Fields can go up so fast and are definitely "motion"!

Mommy Project said...

Wow! Those are great. The time of day really does make a difference, doesn't it? Maybe one of these days I'll try to do some photography during the "golden hours". So far - everything I do is at the delightfully unflattering High Noon. :-/

Oh...and I DEFINITELY like the "closer up" one. It's great!

Kara @ His, Hers and Ours said...

My hubby used to bale hay, and has told me some scary stories. So glad everyone was ok!

You have some awesome pictures! The sky is just amazing, and the pics of the girls in the pool makes me wish we had one!!

Enjoy the rest of your warm weather!

Jen said...

You're really so talented, Shan. I love the expansiveness of the hay field photos.

Shan said...

Tomara - thanks, they sure are.

MP - Yeah the more I look at them the more I like to closer one too.

Kara - thanks for visiting! I appreciate it.

Jen - thanks, you're making me blush.

Goofball said...

what an amazing amount of space in the neighbourhood

Alice said...

i wonder how many shots you took of the baler? i would have taken about 20, at least, so i'd be sure to get one good one - lol! i love your photo and you did get the sunset behind it - great colors (in the sunset, not the black, burnt out baler - lol). i'm glad your T was able to get out safely. and i agree with you, i like the farther away shot best too. great photos all :O). i always love looking at your blog.

Leah said...

how sad about that baler! I hope insurance covers it 100%, and does it quickly... Thank goodness everyone was okay!

That shot of it burned up with the intense PINK in the sky behind it is pretty awesome!!

I'm with you, I like the closer up pic of the two you were deciding between...

Shan said...

Goofball - we are surrounded by farmland out here. That field is about a 15 minute walk from my front door. First you must past several fields that look just like it. Oh and my Aunt and Uncle's house:)

Alice - thanks. I actually only managed to get a couple of shots of the baler. It was getting dark and we needed to follow the boys back to the farm because you couldn't see the lights of the tractor with the wagon full of bales.

Leah - I changed my colour setting to chrome. It makes the colours a bit more vibrant. So while the sky was very pink, it did have a bit of digital help.