Sunday, November 15, 2009

one day she'll have a shoe closet like carrie bradshaw

It's been tradition the past few years that on the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend Mike and Papa take off to the tractor pulls at the fair. This year Grandma Linda and I thought while the boys were off doing that we'd take the girls and do a little shopping. At the mall. Where Granny works.

So off we went, but when we got to Granny's store she wasn't there yet. In fact she wasn't due for another hour. So Grandma Linda suggested we go across the mall to Payless Shoes. Also known as Abby's Disneyland.

10629_182037621010_603251010_4187621_279628_n


As soon as we got to the part of the store that housed her size she spun around and asked me.... do you have your camera? I didn't, but I did have me new old cell phone and snapped the picture above. The next thing she asked me was... can I try all of these on? And I wish I had recorded her because I cannot fully explain the awe that you could hear in her voice. Just to be surrounded by all these shoes, these beautiful shoes. It was like a divine moment for her.

10629_182039116010_603251010_4187676_6925527_n


And then she found these. It was love at first sight. Just to clarify these are brown "suede" peep toe pumps... in her size. They were the most beautiful thing that she'd ever seen. They were soulmates, destined to be together. She was already telling me of the places she could wear them. The things she could wear them with.

Even still, with the lovefest that was going on... do you see that blur of orange and brown just past the box? That's My-Pie. And what is My-Pie doing? Scouring the shelves for more shoes for her sister to try on. No joke. She would get them off the shelf and bring them to Abby's feet like she was leaving an offering. Girlfriend is serious about shoes. And My-Pie... she's serious about her sister.

10629_182033781010_603251010_4187599_6330579_n


Not surprisingly, she was only more in love with them after they hit her feet. I'm sure the pose she's striking tells the entire love story. And Grandma Linda, being a self declared shoe girl herself...... well she was buying into it too. I won't even try to deny that I wasn't a little swept up in the excitement as well. She was just so in love with these shoes. And I'm sure they'd be in my closet next to the eleventy billion other pairs of Abby shoes right now had I not keeled over from sticker shock ($35!!) and told Grandma Linda she was not allowed to buy them for her. Really, I guess I should be thankful she doesn't know what Jimmy Choo, Manolo Blahnik, Christian Louboutin or Prada is yet.

2 comments:

Goofball said...

I can totally see her excitement in the pictures

yet I'd find such shoes weird on a young girl's feet to be honest

renae said...

Shoe prices for children are outrageous. Wait a few months and those babies will be on clearance and Abby will be begging for a pedicure.