Sunday, December 20, 2009

the play

The Sunday after game night the girls were supposed to be playing angels in our church's Christmas play. I heard through the rumor mill that they wanted me to play one as well, but me... on the stage? HA! You must be joking. Anyway after such a late night laughing with my besties the night before I can't tell you how much I hated the idea of the play. There was no way I wanted to get out of bed, get me and the girls into church worthy attire and head on over to our little church around the corner. And Mike does Sunday morning chores at ML & T's dairy farm, so I would be on my own.

So I grumbled and complained and whined about it a whole lot little bit, but since ML's boys were playing shepherds we decided we'd wrangle our kids there together while our men dealt with the livestock.

We arrive at the church and I head the girls back to the hall to find out where they need to be and to get them into their halos. Maya, not surprisingly, refuses to participate. I think it had something to do with her dressing room. Perhaps the Perrier wasn't chilled to her liking or perhaps they accidentally left in a green M&M. Either way she was having none of it. Instead she spent her time doing this....

020081


This play was a little different then the usual Christmas Story production. It was told by the animals, so the humans were just set dressings in this one. It was incredibly cute and well acted by the members of our congregation. Abby, of course, was the cutest angel there. For all my complaining I had a really great time and enjoyed the service immensely. And to make it just that little bit worse the service was filled with the hymns we used to sing at my Grandmother's house on Christmas Eve. We sang carols every year after dinner. I'm sure it was an exercise our parents invented just to distract us kids from the gifts for an extra 15 minutes while the after dinner tidying was going on. So I was all misty eyed through the entire thing and so glad I went.

020102

1 comment:

Goofball said...

I'm sure your children will remember these events later on and will be gratefull for the Christmas spirit