Wednesday, April 07, 2010

what's cooking wednesday - brown sugar cake

Well I ended up making dessert for the various Easter meals we attended. Which is good, cause I love desserts, especially my own. I was tempted to go for my old standby - the award winning chocolate cake, but I've made a lot of those in the past little while. So it was time for a change. Then I stumbled across this recipe in one of my What's Cooking magazines that Kraft puts out a half dozen times a year or so. It seemed like the perfect match to my oh so yummy maple frosting and it was.

Brown Sugar Cake

1 pkg (2 layer size) yellow cake mix
1 pkg (4 serving size) vanilla instant pudding
4 eggs
2/3 cup sour cream
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup oil
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
2 tsp icing sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Beat the first 6 ingredients in a mixer until well blended. Add brown sugar and nuts and mix well. Pour into a bundt pan and bake for for one hour or until done. Oh and don't forget to spray your pan with some cooking spray first. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack. Sprinkle with the incing sugar before serving.

Recipe Notes: Well if you've been hanging out here then you know that I totally left out the chopped pecans because... ick! This cake was fabulous, perfectly moist, great brown sugar flavour. Although next time around I think I'd add a tsp or so of cinnamon. I can't believe I didn't think to add some this time around. It was a nice change of pace from all the chocolate cake and peanut butter frosting that's been coming out of my kitchen.


6 comments:

Kaci said...

MMmmmmmmmm

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Sounds like something I'd have a hard time walking away from...YUM!

Angie said...

I added a recipe that is totally different! Healthy brownies! Yum!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

In my most humble opinion, brown sugar improves any recipe. Thus, you have a hit.

Bibliomama said...

Sorry, I'm still stuck on peanut butter frosting (blissful sigh). I would love to participate in this, still trying to get my act together.

Shan said...

Kaci - yes it was :)

Michelle - yeah I had to give half of it away just to get it out of the house.

Angie - brownies are good!

Sweet and Savoury - I concur, we should get along just fine :)

Bibliomania - the best thing ever, although I have to strongly recommend you only make it with Jif peanut bitter. The rest just don't compare believe me I've tried.