Wednesday, November 17, 2010

focused 15 and flying

It's a well known fact that I only steal the very best ideas and usually from Andrea of a peek inside the fishbowl fame and this time is no exception. Focused 15, friends. That is where it's at.

What is focused 15, you ask?

Well at my house it's when I gather up the other three people that live here with me and force them to clean/tidy the kitchen, living room, bathroom and office. The main living areas of our house. Yes there is much groaning and complaining.... from all three of them... but it works. When we stay diligent about our daily focused 15 then the house looks damn near company ready most of the time.

We were really great about it just after the kids started school, but then everything go so busy and nobody was ever home and it just kind of fell by the wayside until I had a Mommy meltdown about the perpetual mess the house was in and now I am happy to report that Focused 15 is back on the docket.

I hold out hope that one of these days when I signal the start of Focused 15 that the kids and Michael will just jump in and help with out complaint.... ha! Until then I'm the meanie Mom who stands over Maya while she complains that she's starving or dirsty (thirsty) or her legs hurt or her arms or she's too tired and makes her pick up her dirty socks off the living room floor even though she's got all that other stuff going on.

Oh and they all want to unload the dishwasher. Every time there is this great debate about who's going to unload the dishwasher. Which is totally fine with me, dishes not being one of my favourite domestic duties, but it's just kinda weird for a 4 year old to beg to put dishes away isn't it?

So yeah, Focused 15 is great. It's an hour of cleaning in only 15 minutes. That is all kinds of awesome! An added bonus to F15, is it frees up some time for me to follow along with the flylady too. I've been trying to follow her "flight plans" that tackle some of the bigger cleaning projects in smaller more manageable bits. For example this week we are in the bathroom and the task for today was to wipe down the vanity. I love having these prompts.

Do you have any special cleaning schedules?

3 comments:

Pam said...

Brilliant! I love the idea. We try the 10 minute team tidy but it also includes me bitching a lot and lording over with a whip.
I LOVE flylady and hop on and off the plan. Her positive nature and great ideas keep me motivated... sometimes.

allison said...

Schedule? Yes. We live in denial until we are expecting company in an hour and then we do the flight of the bumblebee. Okay, not really. We have a cleaning lady who comes every two weeks. That morning, we do the flight of the bumblebee.

Desi said...

Flylady is great! I like many of her plans and ideas. I am horrible at cleaning though!