Thursday, November 18, 2010

that time of the year

Tonight was our parent teacher interview with the Abster's teacher. It was completely uneventful. As it turns out Abby is struggling with reading and she's a bit of a chatty kathy. And by a bit I mean she needs to sit near the teacher so she can keep her focused. Yep, shocking development. Didn't see that coming. Oh wait she does talk. All. The. Time. And when she's not talking the other one is.

In all seriousness though, Abby is coming along as expected. She's already had noticeable improvement from the reading program she's in. She's struggling a titch with math, but her teacher felt she just needs some practice at home. She's great socially.... see above.... and is still enthusiastic about school.

We didn't have a interview with Maya's teacher, but she came up in Abby's interview, oddly enough. I guess not long after Maya started JK Abby's teacher found her standing in the hall outside the grade 3 classroom. Just standing there. Not saying a word. Abby's teacher asked her if she was lost. Maya, of course, didn't answer her. I can only imagine she was overwhelmed with panic. I mean, she's lost and now a stranger is talking to her. Turns out Maya was supposed to go to the office, but she made a right when she should have turned left and when she couldn't find the office she just stopped. Luckily, Abby's teacher figured she belonged in the JK room, since Maya wouldn't speak and she delivered her safely back there. Poor little thing. I surprised she never mentioned the horror.

5 comments:

Goofball said...

I'm glad I was the youngest in the family...going to a school were my mom was teaching (and hence all the other teachers knew me and I sort of felt "home" there ) and my sister was in higher classes.
Mind you, we start school at the age of 2.5 in Belgium

Julie said...

glad to hear that the reading program is working for abbes. i sort of have a little dream that the jeelybean will go to the same school the hubby teaches at so he won't ever have to feel that sort of panic. not going to happen, but nice to dream.

Betsy Hart said...

I was the talker too.

Leah said...

So glad the reading program is making visible difference already. WOO HOO!

My mother says I talked ALL THE TIME as a kid. I never understood why that was always said as a NEGATIVE thing. But now I have Connor AND I GET IT. It's fabulous to chat with this little person in my life, but when he seriously leaves me without even one second to have my own thoughts or concentrate on ANYTHING else... It makes a person a little batty sometimes! *grin*

Oh, and poor Maya, that definately must have been scary for her!

Bibliomama said...

Oh, poor little bunny. I felt like that all the time in school. I don't think Eve has EVER felt like that anywhere. She obviously got her confidence from somewhere else.