Tuesday, March 29, 2011

what's cooking wednesday - marshmallows

These are something I would classify as a sometimes treat. They are easy to make and Abby thought I was a rock star for making them... so bonus cool Mom points there.

032311_1355[00].jpg


Fruity Marshmallows

1/2 cup water
1 pkg (85g) strawberry jello powder
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tbsp light corn syrup
1 cup icing sugar

Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan, add the jello powder and stir over low heat until dissolved (about 2 - 4 minutes). Add the granulated sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved, but do not boil (about 3 to 4 minutes). Stir in the corn syrup and transfer to a large bowl. Cool in the fridge for 3o minutes or until lukewarm.

Line an 8 inch pan with waxed paper that you've sprayed with cooking spray. Take the jelly mixture out of the fridge and beat with a mixer on high speed for 10 minutes or until stiff. Spread into the prepared pan and chill in the fridge for 6 hours or until firm.

Unmould the marshmallows on to your work surface that has been dusted with 1/2 cup of icing sugar. Sprinkle more icing sugar on top and then cut into 48 pieces making sure to roll the cut edges in icing sugar as well.

Recipe Notes: Well this was a hit. Home made marshamllows are nothing like the store bought ones. These were light and fluffy and cherry flavoured. I know the recipe calls for strawberry, but I won't tell if you want to make a different flavour. I don't think I would recommend making this without a stand mixer. I wouldn't want to stand there mixer in hand for 10 minutes. And it actually does get very thick. I'm not sure I hand mixer could handle the task, but feel free to prove me wrong. You should also note that these don't keep long. They start to get funky look by day two. Of course that could be my error. I think I should mixed them longer. I only mixed them about 6 minutes because the recipe doesn't say if you are using a stand mixer or a handheld model. Big difference between the two, so I thought it looked thick enough after 6 minutes, but they were pretty fragile, so I say go the full ten.




What is What's Cooking Wednesday and how can I play?

What's cooking Wednesday was born out of a desire to get out of that what's for dinner rut. Playing is easy, on Wednesday post a recipe that has been tried and tested by you and then pop over here and add your name to the Mr. Linky. When entering your name also add the name of the recipe in brackets and make sure you link to your What's Cooking Wednesday post and not just your blog's front page.

*All front page links will be deleted!*
*Posts that aren't linked back will be deleted*
*Posts that don't include some sort of a recipe will be deleted*

Don't make me be a jerk. And don't forget to link back here, the home of What's Cooking Wednesday.

So for example I would write Shan (Speedy Chicken Stir Fry) in the name section. For the URL section I would post this: http://shanrev.blogspot.com/2007/10/whats-cooking-wednesday-speedy-chicken.html

I'll let you in on a little secret, my WCW recipes are almost never made on a Wednesday. So feel free to cook and photograph whenever you have time and join us posting on Wednesday

6 comments:

Melissa said...

I have an insane obsession with homemade marshmallows! I've never made flavored ones though, I'll definitely be trying this though!

carolinaheartstrings said...

Those look like fun to make and eat!

Anonymous said...

I have thought about making homemade marshmallows but have just not gotten around to it! These look great!

PERMANENT POSIES said...

Oh yea! You get the Mom Award! I have never seen a marshmallow recipe. My goodness.

Lynn said...

I've made these before but I find them a struggle - everything in the kitchen ends up sticky. They sure are delicious, though.

I bought some homemade marshmallows at the school's craft fair this year that were vanilla flavour (i.e. made with unflavoured geletin) and rolled in toasted coconut. YUMMY.

karenb said...

I made these "Marshmallows" last night using Black Cherry Jello. I am an experienced cook & baker of 40+ years. I have made homemade marshmallows several times using unflavored gelatin powder and they ALWAYS come out fantastic. But, these marshmallows with the flavored jello mix were AWFUL! I followed this recipe to the "T," and they were tasteless!!

I tasted the mixture during the 10 minutes I was beating it and the longer it mixed, the more tasteless it got! Since I used a Cherry Jello mix, the color was pink so I added 1/4 tsp Cherry flavoring. This only made the mixture worse!! It tasted like "cough syrup!"

My husband's comment was "priceless:" "Delsyn cough syrup tastes better!"

The texture of these were more like jello mixed with cool whip. They were airy/springy but not any resemblance to a Marshmallow!

I was VERY DISAPPOINTED!