Wednesday, April 27, 2011

what's cooking wednesday - taco seasoning

Lots of folks are talking salt these days. I have to say I never paid much attention before, but boy howdy, once you start looking it's redonkulous how much salt is in a lot of the foods we are eating. Craziness!

One of Abby's new favourite dinners is tacos! Maya hates them, but I consider 75% of the family eating it a success. Before I started on this healthier eating lifestyle I did as most folks do and picked up an envelope of taco seasoning mix.... big mistake. Oh there is so much salt in those. So a quick little google search brought me to this recipe....

Taco Seasoning

  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
In a bowl mix all the ingredients together and then store in an airtight container.

Recipe Notes: The great thing about this is you can adjust to your own taste. I usually use a light hand with the cumin as Mike only likes it if it's not the dominant flavour. I use a light hand with the chili flakes too for The Abster's sake.

Totally unrelated... Maya's new favourite food is sausage. Oh my goodness she loves sausage. So Mike's Dad gave us some he'd bought at the local butcher's and we brought it home for dinner. Maya was very excited for dinner that night, but then Grandma Linda called to warn us that the sausage was very spicy. On to plan b aka cereal for the kids. Maya just couldn't help herself and insisted on trying the sausage. She pretty much had steam coming out of her ears and guzzled water like it was going out of style in between each bite, but she would not stop eating that sausage. We finally took it away from her after she'd had about a third of it... minus a bite or two. And she was mad that we did. Funny kid.




What is What's Cooking Wednesday and how can I play?

What's cooking Wednesday was born out of a desire to get out of that what's for dinner rut. Playing is easy, on Wednesday post a recipe that has been tried and tested by you and then pop over here and add your name to the Mr. Linky. When entering your name also add the name of the recipe in brackets and make sure you link to your What's Cooking Wednesday post and not just your blog's front page.

*All front page links will be deleted!*
*Posts that aren't linked back will be deleted*
*Posts that don't include some sort of a recipe will be deleted*

Don't make me be a jerk. And don't forget to link back here, the home of What's Cooking Wednesday.

So for example I would write Shan (Speedy Chicken Stir Fry) in the name section. For the URL section I would post this: http://shanrev.blogspot.com/2007/10/whats-cooking-wednesday-speedy-chicken.html

I'll let you in on a little secret, my WCW recipes are almost never made on a Wednesday. So feel free to cook and photograph whenever you have time and join us posting on Wednesday

4 comments:

Leah said...

I am going to have to try the taco seasoning recipe!

Chantal said...

I will try your seasoning, tonight actually. I forgot to take something out for dinner so tacos it is :)

zaczmom said...

I never even thought to try a homemade seasoning. We use taco seasoning at least once a week.

Bibliomama said...

My kids both love tacos. I just wing it with the seasoning now that I've done it a few times and they've never noticed a difference from the package. I'm pretty heavy-handed with the cumin though. :)