Friday, July 08, 2011

friday high five - food network

Anybody who knows me knows I spend a lot of time watching the foodnetwork. It may just be my favourite channel. I have actually learned a lot just by watching my favourite food shows like Diners, Drive ins and Dives.

So for this week's Friday High Five - the five best things I have learned watching the foodnetwork.

1. The garbage bowl! It seems simple right, but it never occurred to me to keep a bowl for garbage on the counter while I chopped, diced and peeled. Thanks Rachael Ray.

2. The proper way to hold a knife. I've seen a lot of different chefs on a lot of different shows, eventually the way they are doing things starts to sink in.

3. Season your meat. Since starting weight watchers I've been making our own burgers out of ground beef because they end up being a fraction of the points that the pre-made frozen ones are. They're pretty good, but just about every time I see someone make a burger on Triple D they season the pattie with salt and pepper. So I gave it a go and Michael declared them the best burgers I've ever made.... and s&p was the only change I had made.

4. That I can make really great pie crust in my stand mixer. No more pre-made pie crusts for this chick.

5. That a man can pull off pinkie rings, flip flops and a bowling shirt. Thanks Guy Fieri.

3 comments:

Desi said...

Ha love the last one. The Food Network is pretty great. I wanted to let you know about my cookbook giveaway that is going on right now until July 16th. Stop on by to enter! Hope you are having a great week :)

http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-first-giveaway.html

Goofball said...

I didn't get that last remark


My husband has a sous-chef degree and he constantly corrects my cutting technique. I still can't do it well but I learned that cutting is not pushing from the wrist but pulling with the entire arm (shoulder/elbow movement)...that indee is possible to do faster. and he gets horribly mad if my other fingers are holding the object "dangerously" and are in the line of the knife.

seasoning makes all the difference in all the dishes and are the hardest to learn: how much of what

Shan said...

Desi - thanks for stopping by and thanks for letting me know, but I'm a Canadian girl.

Goofball - there's a chef on my favourite show and he wears pinkie rings, flip flops and bowling shirts, but he makes it work somehow.