Wednesday, August 31, 2011

maya's stream

Today Maya asked me, as she does nearly every day as I get the mail, "let me know if there is anything for me." Apparently she's waiting for a package or a letter or anything at all, really, to come in the mail addressed to her.

As for me, as I do every day, I tried to pass the junk mail off as hers. She never falls for it, but I give it the ole college try every day anyway. Today is was a flyer that offered a Toys R Us gift card just for getting an insurance quote. Maya brought it in to the house and sat at the kitchen table. She flipped it back and forth, turned it this way and that.

Maya - Hmmphh! Where did the gift card go? There is supposed to be a gift card for Toys R Us in this thing. Where did it go? It probably fell out in the mail box. Mom, you should go check. Mom. Mom. You should go check. The gift card is missing.

Me: There isn't a gift card with it honey, just a picture of one.

Maya: But it fell out. I really think it's in the mail box. You should check. Mom. You should check. Mom.

Me: My, there is no gift card, I promise you. It didn't fall out.

Maya: But it was for Toys R Us. You could go spend it at Toys R Us. I know how to get to Toys R Us, but I'm not going to tell you because I can't remember where it is.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

My kids say the same thing every day, too! I wonder if they think that I am withholding rooms full of mail for them somewhere in the house. Like, if they don't remind me to let them know if there's mail for them, then I GET TO KEEP IT. Sheesh!

We got the same flyer yesterday and there was similar excitement here about a "free" Toys R Us shopping spree. Had to talk them all down from that one.

Betsy Hart said...

That is totally adorable! =) These are days I am glad I have a blog to remember the conversations like this. =)