Sunday, August 28, 2011

sunday randoms

Weekends always go too fast, don't they?

So the hard drive in my laptop is done. Fried. Toast. Luckily it looks like we'll be able to save my pictures and music. Phew. And let's move on.

The mood around here fluctuates wildly. At any given moment somebody is happy, sad, down, stressed, unsure, positive, upbeat and tired. Almost always tired. This turning your life on it's ear stuff is pretty freakin' exhausting.

I pretty much did nothing all day. I stayed in my jammies all day and you could find me in one of three places - my bed reading a book, the deck reading a different book with a cup of tea or Mike's computer playing Scrabble with my sister-in-law and/or my neighbour. They are both kicking my ass right now.

I can feel fall is just around the corner. I love that first nip of coolness in the air.

As I mentioned I spent a lot of time on my deck reading or rather re-reading.... Clan of the Cave Bear. I read the series years ago, but have to renew myself with the story so I can read the last two books. Anyway the point of this story was.... it's pretty freakin' uncomfortable out there. It's a huge deck and I'd use it more if it were more user friendly.

Mike is suggesting we rent a cottage next summer. I started researching that today.

I can't believe Abby goes back to school next week.

4 comments:

Julie said...

sucks about the hard drive.

clan of the cave bear! wow it's been decades since i read those. there are two new ones? since when? have to see if i can get the series on my kobo for cheap!

Goofball said...

look at the bright sight


I once fried my laptop on which 3 years worth of pictures had been saved. I cried all night, sat up again and drove my husband crazy....he ended up sitting all night trying to figure out a solution. And he did.

He bought an icy box (seems like a little shell in which he could click the hard drive...there's icy boxes for different types of hard drives and once it's clicked in it connects with a USB to another computer and functions as an external drive). Naturally your laptop must be broken but hard drive still ok on its own.

From then on we bought an external hard drive to back-up everything....only we save some things exclusively on that external hard drive. It died within 4 months. I lost a few things but not much.


So I save my pictures and since than, I save every picture I load in 2 places: my laptop and a different external hard drive and afterwards I also copy it to an old PC (although it's so old and all thos pictures now make it run out of disk space). But I need at least 2 copies of each picture before it can be deleted from the camera. Additionally I like to upload the best to Facebook or our own website, just to know I have them on an extra server too. (you never know our house goes on fire, right)


Some lessons we learn the hard way but once we do, we'll never make the same mistake again. I'm certain you'll have a new approach on backing up as well.

Betsy Hart said...

I agree. If someone could figure out how to make the weekend last longer, they would be the most popular person in the world! =)

Shan said...

@Julie - Sucks so bad! But there are worse things. I'm over it mostly. As for Clan of the Cave Bear... I say get it. I'm 3/4 of the way through. Forgot what a great book it is. The last two... I think the last one came out earlier this year and the one before came out last year.

@goofball - Almost all of my pictures are backed up on dvd as well uploaded to flickr and facebook. Luckily I only had 6 months worth of pictures on the laptop and like I said my favourites were uploaded other places. It would have been fine if I had lost them. I mean I have two healthy kids sleeping upstairs and their father whom I love madly, not to mention a home to keep us all. There are worse things.

@ Besty - very true.