Friday, August 26, 2011

friday high five - making me smile

Lest you think it's all hand wringing and angst over here, there is plenty to make me smile. My stomach is still in knots over the laptop (still not fixed yet, but HPH's guy is doing his best), my infected nose piercing and our life that's been tipped on it's side. All of that has worked together to kick my occasional insomnia into high gear. I am dead tired, but, at almost 1am, unable to wind down enough to sleep. I think it's freaking Mike out a little bit as he ordered me to get my shit together because my role in this relationship is to be the ever dependable, ever supportive, ever calm and steady rock. I am majorly messing with his head right now. Hmmmm maybe I should make that number one on my list.....

but back to my original point.... there are things that make me smile.....

1. The jammies I'm wearing. Identical to a pair one of my besties own. We bought them for Relay for Life. They make me smile every time I wear them and I remember that night and how my Jersey Girls rocked their first relay as Dream Team! $3500 raised and a thank you for our hard work from the Mom of a 16 year old cancer survivor. Very big smile!

2. That Mike has the next five out of seven days off. Very awesome as he's just finishing up a stretch of eight days in a row.

3. That both girls made their own dinners tonight. Mike worked afternoons so it was just us chicks.

4. My plan this year was to donate 12 scarves to a local agency this winter. Tonight while Mike and I watched The Fighter (great movie btw) I finished up number 6 and started on number 7.

5. Jammie Movie Night. Although it looks like's it's just ML and I this month as everyone is off vacationing, but hanging with one Jersey Girl is better than zero JG's.

What's making you smile these days?

5 comments:

Kaci said...

That's so great you are donating scarfs! =) Your blog makes me smile

Marilyn (A Lot of Loves) said...

I'm impressed that you can knit fast enough to donate scarves.

Betsy Hart said...

That is awesome about the donation. Just about there! =) And I hear you about the insomnia. It totally sucks.

Merry said...

Love the scarf idea! I need to do something like that. Mine would have to be crocheted b/c I don't know how to knit but I'm sure that would work. Hmmm...

I need to start looking for things that make me smile. I'm in a bit of a funk these days and I'm not having my usual success at pulling myself out of it.

Shan said...

@Kaci - Aww thanks. Your blog makes me smile too.

@Marilyn - Thanks so much. I finished up number 7 tonight and started number 8. I also have 1 hat and a dozen or so cloths stashed away.

@Besty - Thanks. It's an easy way to give back.

@Merry - I know what you mean. It was actually hard to come up with that five. Things aren't stellar here these days, but we have our bright spots. Can't wait to settle into the new normal. As for the scarves, check the websites of your local agencies. They usually have a list of things they need donated. Local NICU's can often use blankets and/or hats too. Crochet would certainly work. Wish I knew how to do that.