Tuesday, November 08, 2011

what's cooking wednesday - italian tortellini soup

If you've been reading here for a while then y'all know how I feel about soup. I love it so much! Soup is one of my favourite things about fall.


Soup


Italian Tortellini Soup

1/2 lb sliced fresh mushrooms
2 tsp olive oil
4 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
1 tbsp prepared pesto
1 jar roasted sweet red peppers, drained
1 pkg (9 oz) refrigerated cheese tortellini

In a large pot saute mushrooms in oil until tender. Add the brother, tomatoes, and pesto. Put the peppers in a food processor and process until blended, add to the soup and bring to a boil. Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes. Add the tortellini and bring to a boil. Cook for 7 - 9 minutes or until pasta is tender. Serve topped with shredded cheese.

Recipe Notes: You know what I love about soup? That it's pretty forgiving. So I added some diced onion to the mushrooms. I also pureed the peppers in their liquid with my immersion blender. Oh and my can of tomatoes was twice the size the recipe called for. Also I used a whole tetra box of chicken broth... whatever that works out to. I topped this with shredded mozzarella and for lunch the next day with cheddar. Both were delicious. Parmesan would also work here.




What is What's Cooking Wednesday and how can I play?

What's cooking Wednesday was born out of a desire to get out of that what's for dinner rut. Playing is easy, on Wednesday post a recipe that has been tried and tested by you and then pop over here and add your name to the Mr. Linky. When entering your name also add the name of the recipe in brackets and make sure you link to your What's Cooking Wednesday post and not just your blog's front page.
*All front page links will be deleted!*
*Posts that aren't linked back will be deleted*
*Posts that don't include some sort of a recipe will be deleted*

Don't make me be a jerk. And don't forget to link back here, the home of What's Cooking Wednesday.

So for example I would write Shan (Speedy Chicken Stir Fry) in the name section. For the URL section I would post this: http://shanrev.blogspot.com/2007/10/whats-cooking-wednesday-speedy-chicken.html

I'll let you in on a little secret, my WCW recipes are almost never made on a Wednesday. So feel free to cook and photograph whenever you have time and join us posting on Wednesday

5 comments:

Little Mommy Kim said...

Thanks for hosting.. the soup looks delish! Have a great week!

justme said...

add the brother made me smile

Jessica @ Delicious Obsessions said...

Thanks for hosting! I just found your blog tonight. I am sharing my recipe for Citrus Balsamic Chicken With Buttery Herb-Roasted Potatoes. It's one of my favorite dishes to make!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I'm a real soup eater and maker too.
This tortelli soup sounds like a hearty filling soup/meal for a cold evening. I linked an easy company polenta and eggplant dish.

Goofball said...

oh gosh that looks sooooo good