Tuesday, February 28, 2012

what's cooking wednesday

No recipe tonight. No linky. I think for the time being what's cooking wednesday is going on hiatus. I'm undecided where it's going to go from here. It may find new life with a friend or I may put it quietly to bed. I just have this sense that it's run it's course with me.

I can still remember when I got the idea for WCW. Mike and I were finishing up dinner, I was on mat leave and I had the time to seek out new recipes and give them a whirl. I thought it would be fun to post the results. To my surprise it sort of caught on, a little bit and some of my best blogging buddies were sharing their recipes with me on Wednesdays too. I liked that. To me it felt like we were solidifying relationships, sharing recipes like I would with my real life friends. It felt like a community. It doesn't feel like that anymore.

Many links that show up in the linky these days, while they may lead back to a recipe they also lead back to another link up or to a post that's linked up to dozens of other sites. It seems to me it's become more about the traffic then it has about the sharing. In many cases while I am sending traffic to other people's sites you really have to search to find the link back to mine. I'm not a big one for stats, in fact I can't even tell you the last time I checked mine out, but even to me that seems a little unfair. I've tried deleting links and I've tried gentle reminder comments, but if anything this problem seems to be getting worse. These days my life is so full of wonderful things I really don't have it in me to waste my time and energy on something that, to me, has become less than awesome.

So that's how things are. Clearly I'm not going to stop cooking and I may post a recipe here and there if it's really awesome, but the regular what's cooking wednesday posts are going away for the foreseeable future. Thanks to all who have participated in WCW. Big thanks to my bloggy besties who were there when I got it started. It was fun while it lasted.

4 comments:

Kaci said...

Everyone deserves a break. =)

Julie said...

everything seems to be about getting more traffic to your site. i've bene turned off quite a few blogs because of that. i'm very glad you are sticking to your truths. i look forward to your occassional recipe posts. thanks for the years that you did it!

Tara @ Crock-Pot Ladies said...

I'm sorry to see you put this on hiatus because i liked that yours was kind of small and growing. A lot of the linky parties are so huge you are just one in a million. I hear you though. We have one on our blog and some weeks I just want to say whhhyyy?

Hope you take a break from it and maybe come back feeling a little different. Will keep following along with you anyway! :)
Tara

Shan said...

Kaci - Thanks.

Julie - It has been a big turn off, both here and at other places I read. It's too bad really. Thanks.

Tara - thank you. We'll have to see if absence makes the heart grow fonder in this case.