Monday, May 14, 2012

should have listened to him

If you had told me four months ago that I would be out on a Monday afternoon, running, by myself on the trail..... well I would have assumed you'd lost your mind. That's exactly where I was this afternoon though. IN my spandex running gear.... what. the. hell. If you had told me four months ago that I would leave my house wearing spandex..... see above. I have actual running gear now. Who am I? I don't even know anymore.

Much to my surprise I really love to run. Today was the first time I went out in my new running shoes (before now I'd been running in a pair of old skate shoes.... I know, I know I already got the lecture about taking care of my aging joints from Uncle Dave) and my spandex capris. Wow! What a different the proper equipment makes. The whole run was ten times easier, so by that rationale I enjoyed it ten times more. I honestly didn't believe all that stuff would make a difference, but it so does. Really.

Even though I love to run, I am my own worst enemy. I keep pushing myself too hard, to the point where I feel like I am taking one step forward, two steps back. The goal, ultimately, is to run a 5k and I routinely kill myself trying to increase my distance. How I haven't quit yet is beyond me, because there are some runs I come back from feeling just discouraged because I am trying to rush the training process. One of these days I'll figure it all out.

4 comments:

Chantal said...

today I am going out a lunch to re-start my 5K training. I have done it twice and twice I stopped. It is time to get back to it! Way to go Shan!

Kaci said...

You go girl! XO

Leah said...

You rock!! And you'll reach your goal before you know it...

Goofball said...

can't you use a training scheme that you must stick too to ensure you don't push yourself too hard? I took one and I often ran , being convinced it was too easy (but as soon as I speeded up or stubbornly did a bit more, I got punished the next time, not achieving anything at all)