Monday, February 03, 2014

one month down

Well we are just over one month into the year of health and I'm sure you're dying to know how it's working out. Well I'm not going to lie it got off to a really discouraging start. Or so I thought. I was sick for about a month with one thing after another beginning at Christmas time. The pink eye wasn't fun, the laryngitis wasn't ideal, but the bronchitis really knocked me on my ass. In stark contrast to how I usually deal with being sick I rested. Typically I just power through and pretend I'm not really all that sick. This time around I spent a lot of time napping, going to bed early and watching TV in bed.... with Abby who was sick as well. Mike and Maya managed to keep the rest of the house running smoothly, dinners were made, rooms were tidied, homework was completed, and eventually bit by bit Abby and I got better.

And now that I'm feeling better I've really been able to put the fitbit through it's paces and I have to say I triple love it. It really encourages me to get my butt up off the couch. I've been running the stairs here at home to meet my stair climbing goal and I do plenty of marching around the house to make it to 10,000 steps per day. I've been boxing and holding dance parties with the kids to meet my active minutes goal. Oh and I am a little obsessed with the sleep tracking aspect. My sleep is 96% effective, in case you were wondering and I'm restless about a dozen times a night. I've given up on even the idea of treadmill running and instead am waiting for it stop polar vortexing out there for five minutes so I can hit the trail. I purchased the fitbit one. I wear it clipped to my bra and I don't even know it's there. I am completely happy with the purchase and would recommend highly recommend it. Anybody else loving their fitbit? Want to be fitbit friends?

5 comments:

Lynn said...

I have a fitbit too, and I also love it - it really encourages me to get up and be more active, plus it's just so cute (I have the pink one that clips to your pocket). I'm on a strict no-friends fitbit diet, though - my daily step count is really, so ridiculously low, I know I would feel discouraged and sad if I were comparing myself to anyone else. Right now I feel happy when I see I've walked a couple thousand steps in a day - I need to keep clinging to that as a victory, and not start to see it as a defeat!

Sounds like you're rocking it though...keep it up!

Julie said...

so is it really worth the price tag? i was a little shocked to see the $100 cost.

Betsy Hart said...

I absolutely love mine! It has been so encouraging to see how much I move and inspires me to get up off the couch as well.

Shan said...

Lynn - I get that. I'm not normally a very competitive person, but the couple of friends I do have on fitbit keep pushing me to keep my numbers up. 10,000 steps in a day is not easy and Mike will tell you I am often just marching around the room while he's talking to me.

Julie - Personally, I think so. I grabbed mine on sale after Christmas, so it was $90 after tax. I find it a hug motivator as well as an excellent tracking tool.

Betsy - That's great!!

Julie said...

I'll see if I can find some good sale. Though the fact that I sit at a desk all day may just make me sad. ;)