Saturday, April 24, 2021

16/52 - Formula 1 Drive to Survive


 My family has a long and well documented history of racing in many different forms, but interest in Formula 1 wasn't ever really one of them. Then I watched the Dave Letterman interview with Lewis Hamilton, which I enjoyed and Mike said, oh then you should check this series out. Guys, I was instantly hooked on the whole dang show. Netflix recently released the third season, which is what I watched as the weekly entry for this project. Side note, between this series and The Last Dance, it did spark debate whether each episode counted as a installment on the list or the series or season as a whole. We settled on the whole season/series as one entry, if for no other reason, then I didn't want to write ten posts on this show alone. Just for the sake of clarity that no one asked for.

This season was filmed last year as covid started to hit the scene, that was an interesting look back into how much we didn't know about what was to come. Each episode takes a story or a team and runs with it. There was lots of seat swapping between drivers and teams last year, so the lead up and fall out to that was intriguing. I truly enjoy all the people on the series and the peak behind the curtain at how many people it takes to run a team and even just what those home bases at a race look like, was also interesting to me. 

What's happened since I watched this series? Do I have a favourite team? I do. Do I love Lewis Hamilton? I really do. Is the guy married to Ginger Spice my favourite? Probably. Have a watched an F1 race in it's entirety. Yes, yes I have. Does all of this information surprise me? It truly does. 

So I mean even if you think, F1 is not for me, don't let that discourage you from checking it out. The cast of characters is great, and it has a pleasing mix of drama, action and humour. 

We watched this on Netflix.

No comments: