Saturday, May 01, 2021

17/52 - Unbanned: The Legend of AJ1


 This one I picked based on the fact it was due to come off of the Crave streaming service soon. This is the kind of documentary that I enjoy watching because I have zero interest in sneakers.... or even shoes in general, but I love to learn more about the types of people who do. Also I'm still on a bit of a Michael Jordan upswing from watching The Last Dance. Additionally, this is a nice little nostalgia trip, so much of this shoe has been tied up in the popular culture of the 80s and 90s.

It's also crazy to me that one little sneaker could have an impact that stretched so far. And I certainly didn't know that the AJ1, was the turning point for Nike becoming a premiere brand or all the scuffles between the shoes and the NBA, although there seems to be varying opinions on how that went down. Was it banned from the NBA or wasn't it? 

The interviews are great in this, Spike Lee, Michael B. Jordan, Jason Sudeikis and Mark Wahlburg to name a few. They are clearly passionate about the shoes and probably the man himself, so that always takes the enjoyment factor up a notch or two. I did enjoy this a lot and I'm glad I caught it before it came off Crave.

I watched this on Crave.


No comments: