Saturday, June 05, 2021

22/52 - Secrets of the Whales

 

Secrets of the Whales (2021) - Guys, we're going back to the ocean. This National Geographic documentary was directed by Brian Armstrong and Andy Mitchell and it is visually stunning. This is actually a docuseries, if we want to get technical. It was filmed over three years at locations around the world and each episodes deals with a species of whales; Orcas, Humpbacks, Belugas/Narwhals and Sperm Whales are all featured over the course of the series. It is narrated by Sigourney Weaver and James Cameron is one of the producers. Guys I was entranced by this one. It checks a lot of my favourite documentary boxes; it's uplifting, offers lots of talking points (makes me super fun at parties.... or you know, the dinner table with my family.... who were sick of my nightly Whale Fun Facts by the time I got to the end) and it captivated my attention.

This perhaps isn't a big deep dive on Whales. It doesn't drill down to the nitty gritty science facts per se, but there is still lots to learn about the different types of whales here. I found all of it incredibly interesting, but I was especially entranced by the Belugas. It actually led my daughter and I investigate Beluga Whale watching trips in the north north north of Canada. Pandemic life can be rough, so I would certainly fire up the Beluga episode as a pick me up. I don't want to spoil the episode, but did you know that Belugas can move their heads like humans can? Oh they can and once you see it you can't unsee it. It's one of the many amazing fun Beluga Whale facts that I couldn't stop talking about for a week. I mean I don't want to say they're the best whales..... but, I mean... they kinda are. The rest of them are pretty okay too though. 

I watched this on Disney+

No comments: