Wednesday, August 30, 2006

What's Cooking Wednesday - Better Than Ever Beef Enchiladas

You may have heard that I love Mexican food. So I was quite eager to give this recipe a go. Just as I had it ready to go in the oven, well that's when I realized my oven was DOA. I ended up throwing in the microwave just to melt the cheese, since it was already cooked, but it just wasn't the same. This past week was my first opportunity to give it another whirl since our new stove joined the family.

Better Thn Ever Than Ever Beef Enchildas


Better Than Ever Beef Enchiladas

1/2 lb extra lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped green peppers
1/2 cup chopped red peppers
2 cups salsa, divided
1 can (19 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup shredded cheese
2 tsp Zesty Italian dressing
8 flour tortillas 6 inch
2 tbsp chopped cilantro

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook meat and peppers in a large non stick skillet on medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add 1 cup salsa and all the beans. Simmer 4 minutes or until peppers are tender. Remove from heat; stir in 1/4 cup cheese.

Spread 1/4 cup of the salsa onto the bottom of a 9X13 pan. Brush dressing lightly over both sides of tortillas. Stack 4 high and heat in the microwave for 20 seconds. Immediately spoon 1/3 cup meat mixture down the centre of each tortilla; roll up. Place seam side down in dish. Repeat with remaining 4 tortilla. Spoon remaining salsa over filled tortillas.

Bake 20 minutes. Cover top with remaining cheese and bake for 2-3 miutes more.

Recipe Notes: I love this recipe. I could eat it all the time. I have made this without the beans. Instead I cook a whole pound of ground beef and add a package of taco seasoning. Whatever beef is left I put on nacho chips with some grated cheddar or, even better, I use it to make mexican omelettes the next day. I like the top to get nice and crispy so I serve the reserved salsa on the side. Oh and sour cream if there is any. This and a nice green salad is dinner. Score 4.5/5

2 comments:

Julie said...

Looks good! Although I must admit, I drench my enchiladas in sauce, the pretty much swim....haha!

This recipe would be much better on my expanding arse I think :)

Thanks for sharing!

Shan said...

Well I'm not what you would call skimpy with the sour cream, so it probably evens out.

What kind of sauce are you drenching them in?