Wednesday, March 19, 2008

every day she teaches me to be a better person

Tonight in an effort to burn up some of Abby's over abundance of energy I bundled the two of us up and we set out for a walk around the village. Off went wandered down the sidewalk with me taking reasonable strides and Abby hopping, skipping, jumping and/or running along side me. It was a funny walk because Abby's brain also had an over abundance of energy and that set her jaw to high speed chatter. I barely had time to answer one question before the next comment was coming out of her mouth. It was like she had been waiting for this exact moment, when it was just the two of us together, without her sister or Dad to distract us to relay to me the entire contents of her brain. So we walked and she talked and I listened, answering when appropriate.

As we wandered down the street that runs behind our house Abby said to me, "There's our new friend's house."

I was perplexed, "What new friends?" I asked her.

"At Chacha and Him's house," she said pointed up the street.

"Honey, ChaCha and Him don't live there anymore, remember? They moved to their new house."

"I know, I meant the new people."

"But honey, we don't know those people. We've never even seen them before."

"Well we just go knock on the door and when they answer we ask what their name is. Then we tell them our name." She paused and looked at me, "That's the polite thing to do."

And she's right. So maybe a nice fresh loaf of Cinnamon Swirl Bread will make it's way across the back yard to welcome our new friends to the neighbourhood.

4 comments:

roxie said...

Out of the mouths of babes . . .

Anonymous said...

What a nice idea. It's also nice to send fresh loaves of bread to Amazing Race Team Beauty Bloggers too. Just thought I'd tell you :)

Angela said...

Now that doesn't happen often enough

mommytherobot.blogspot.com said...

sweet!