Thursday, June 04, 2009

dear abby

I swear I only blinked and now you're turning seven. It seems like it's been going in slow motion and fast forward all at the same time. You started this past school year as a little kid and now it doesn't seem that way at all. You're my big grown up girl.

As much as I've been teasing you the past month. Saying today was the day I was going to grab you and squish you back down to six -- seven is pretty good. You can get your own juice. And make your own sandwiches. And Daddy's been teaching how to safely use the toaster. You take the recycling out each week and mop the floors. You're in charge of getting your own laundry together and now you're putting your clean clothes away as well. Yeah I think seven and I are going to get along okay.

By and large you still enjoy school. You are not a fan of math, but love science, art and music. You tell me you want to be an artiste or a science teacher when you grow up. For you to be doing something in the arts would not surprise me at all. You are always creating something. You'll pick up an empty toilet paper roll and say you're going to make it into a pig. Next thing the construction paper, tape and markers are out and you're turning a paper tube into Wilbur.

You, my sweet baby girl, are such a loving kid. Always ready with some encouragement or a compliment. I have to admit, I love hearing I'm the best Mommy ever. You have a firm grasp on the importance of family beyond Daddy, Maya and I. You have close relationships with all your grandparents and your Aunts and Uncles. There is just no such thing as too much family time as far as you're concerned. I wish I could say that you and Maya never fight, but that's just not true. Even still they barely cause a ripple. You enjoy each other too much to stay mad for long. I sometimes have to remind you to be patient with her, she's still small, but you're a really wonderful big sister.

They say things happen when they are supposed to. I'm not sure I ever believed that until you. For so many years I wanted to have a baby and I was heartbroken that it was taking so long. I just didn't know I was waiting for you. I love you more than you can know. Happy birthday baby girl.

Love
Mom xo

3 comments:

Mommy Project said...

Happy Birthday Abster!!!!
You are a terrific girl and we hope you have a great seventh year!!!
hugs...
Maddie, Jamie, and Maddie and Jamie's mom. :)

Betsy Hart said...

Ok, that's what I wanted to start my morning off with, a good cry. :) You are a wonderful mom, and Abby seems like a wonderful child!

Leah said...

Happy Birthday Abby! You sure are lucky to have a mom who can write out such wonderful things to you.