Friday, May 21, 2010

food revolution friday

So I've been slacking on my food revolution. Well not the revolution, but the posting of the revolution. If you're pals of mine on facebook then you're up to date with the weight loss end of things. As of this week I've lost 16 pounds and Mike has lost an incredible 52 pounds. Go us, right?

It's been 5 months since Mike started weight watchers and we began this journey. I think we're both surprised that it's been a pretty easy ride. We've been far from perfect. We've indulged in some of our favourite treats, but we've found that just a small taste is sufficient to curb a craving. We've also found a lot of fantastic substitutes for some of our old not so healthy favourites.

We almost never buy chips anymore. I will pick up the occasional bag if it's jammie movie night or one of the Jersey Girls will bring some. It's fine, we'll have a few and move on with our lives. More often than not I buy pretzels for a crunchy treat. And when we get sick of those I buy sunchips. Relatively low points for a handful. Plus the bag is compostable and they run their plant on solar power. I like all of that.

Another new favourite in place of chips and dip is baked nachos and salsa or triscuits and hummus. Roasted red pepper is my fave, but we picked up roasted garlic which was very yummy. Triscuits also have a wide line of different flavours so you can mix that up as well. I love the sweet chili and the rye and caraway.... neither of which they carry at our grocery store of choice anymore. What a pisser.

And feta!!! Here's the thing, we love cheese in this family. Really love it. In the days before WW a brick wouldn't last us a week, but we kinda went cold turkey on the cheese after we figured out how many points we'd have to spend on even a small cube. Oh my gosh. I love cheese, but not at those "prices". Here's the thing we stumbled upon, by accident, if you use a very strong flavoured cheese you only need a small bit of it to make an impact. Enter the feta.

Speaking of strong flavours, I apply that theory to the rest of the kitchen as well. We've been eating a lot of greek inspired dinners the past little while. The spice aisle is full of spice mixes to help boost the flavour in your meals. As I mentioned the greek and texmex one get lots of play at our house. I love filling our grill basket with lots of fresh veggies, a drizzle of olive oil and a hearty shaking of spices. It keeps the veggies from being boring and works great as a topper for turkey burgers or stuffed into pitas with chicken or turkey sausage.

What are your favourite healthy eating tricks?

As always, thanks to the fabulous Scattered Mom for hosting Food Revolution Fridays.

6 comments:

Goofball said...

If I crave for chips but don't want to eat them, I get some papadums. do you know that? It's Indian and 0,5 ww point per papadum I think. (I put them in the microwave so no added fat)

you can eat it with some healthy mango chutney or something less sweet such as a minty dip

Norma-ann said...

My fav. healthy eating tips:

1) eat it standing up in the kitchen = doesn't count
2) Hubby brings it to you (wasn't your idea) = doesn't count
3) finish it off for the kids (don't want to waste!) = doesn't count.

:)

Julie said...

papadums are awesome. and with salsa they are just like nachos, but better in terms of ww points. awesome idea goofball.

i don't really have a healthy tip. i tend to just deprive myself of anything. i know, terrible way to do it, but it's all i know.

rock on with ww!

Mis(s)Mannered Mom said...

Rice crackers-they are something like 11 crackers for 1 pt. It's crazy. I use them instead of chips with salsa or my fav-the spicy hummus. Hummus with carrots also satisfies that "bite" and crunch.

WW tortillas are low points and delicious in so many ways. You can do your own fajitas for very low points. I also buy a can of refried beans, some jalepenos and spread a little on (less than a 1/4 cup) with some low fat cheese (a small amount) and grill it quickly in a nonstick frypan. (so like a quesadilla) The whole thing is like 4 pts and very filling. Add a side salad and there's dinner.

if you like cheese-goat cheese is another low point option. It's strong so a small spread of it is 1 pt. I put some on a wrap with some roasted red peppers and baby spinach-yum. I also make pasta and add a small amount of the goat cheese to my noodles with some sundried tomatoes and garlic and some canned artichokes.

Those are some of my current favs-I'm also eating a lot of shrimp-but I'm on to new food kicks every week. :)

Congrats on the weight loss!!! it's a tough battle and you guys are doing great!

Scatteredmom said...

Oh wow! Yay for both of you on the weight loss, that's lots of hard work!

We love hummus in our house too, with Roasted Garlic and the Red Pepper flavors being at the top of our list. I have a herb garden, which I use a lot (along with fresh lemons) to spice up a lot of our food.

We also love cheese-but since Jake is lactose intolerant, it's forced us to consume less. Instead I'm finding that we choose to buy small bits of really *good* cheese and put it in things, rather than just eat it plain. Our new fave is a mild blue cheese with pear in it, crumbled over salad or a turkey burger.

And I don't eat chips either, unless I'm having a major salt craving. Then it's one small bag and I'm done. Actually this last time, I felt so gross after eating them I don't think I'll do that again.

Hey did you get your package yet?

Shan said...

Goofball - I'll have to check into that.

Normie - All fantastic ideas. I need to put them to better use.

Julie - I've never actually heard of those before. Are they easy to find?

MMM - Oh we love rice crackers here. They are Maya's favourite. I picked up spicy hummus this week. So yummy. I love shrimp, but Mike is severely allergic to shellfish so we don't have it in the house. One of my girlfriends always brings goat cheese for movie night. It's so yummy.

Scattered Mom - I love blue cheese too. I haven't bought any in awhile though. I'm going to add it to the grocery list though. I used to love chips. I am so surprised that I don't miss them much at all. We may have them for movie night, but I'd much rather eat the hummus or goat cheese.