Monday, November 08, 2010

excels

I thank you for all your kind comments regarding Abby's struggle with reading. I do appreciate them. After yesterday's post I thought today would be a good day to tell you the things that Abby rocks the socks off....

Singing - there is not much she loves more than to sing. In the past year our church hired a new choir director, an amazingly talented young lady who runs a wonderful junior choir. Right now they are rehearsing their Christmas pageant, which will be sung. They sound fantastic and I cannot wait to see them perform the real deal. Outside of that she listens to her mp3 player whenever she gets a chance and always insists on music while we're doing focus fifteen. She's been on a Grease soundtrack kick for weeks. So every night we tidy up to Abby & John Travolta telling us Grease is the word!

Riding - I don't claim to know much about riding, but even I can tell she sits well in her saddle and is quite confident when she rides. A couple of weeks ago her instructor tripped and spooked Abby's horse. The horse took off and Abby stayed calm and more importantly stayed on the horse until Star got stopped. Then she finished up her lesson like nothing had happened. Afterward she told me,"I just kept saying in my head, Oh God! Just hold on. Oh God! Just hold on. And I did Mom, really really hard." Now she can trot, while posting with a crop in her hand and they've just starting working on her jump position, which means they're getting ready to jump things eventually (Oh God! Just hold on!).

Art - Our house is littered with sketch books, markers, pencil crayons and about a gazillion projects in progress. This girl draws and draws and draws some more. She's been telling me for years now that she plans on being an artiste when she grows up and I could definitely see that happening. It did not surprise me when one of her areas of strength listed on her IEP was, visual learner.

It's a treat to watch her do those things that she truly does love.

7 comments:

Goofball said...

very creative girl!

Julie said...

visual and auditory. there's no chance she won't be creative in anything she does.

and how did you not go running after th ehorse yourself when it took off with her on it!! ;-)

Pam said...

Way to go Abby! I think one of the things I love about being a parent is watching the kids grow as individuals. Abby sounds like she has many natural talents and, like ALL kids, has things she works more at mastering. All are worth celebrating.

Leah said...

Hurray for Abby! She's got a lot of great stuff going for her. They've all get their strengths and weaknesses, and KUDOS to you for recognizing both!

Bibliomama said...

It's completely understandable that you would find her struggling difficult, but what a nice way to refocus. People -- the infinite variety.

Betsy Hart said...

You should take pictures of her art and share it here! I love seeing pictures that kids draw =) And that horse thing sounds AMAZING!

Merry said...

You're a great mom! I'm so glad that you look at what she is good at instead of only focusing on what she's bad at. That is so hard to do sometimes.