Saturday, November 06, 2010

things that make you go hmmmm

Last night Grandma Linda and I had dinner out at our new favourite restaurant where the pulled pork sandwich is scrumptious, but I opted to try the tamale pie and I am so glad I did. It was awesome on a plate.

While we were eating dinner I couldn't help, but notice the couple sitting at the next table. They were my age-ish and had already been served their food. I am assuming they were a married couple as I noticed wedding bands. The odd thing was they were both engrossed in their reading. Him a very thick novel and her a very wordy magazine. I don't think they exchanged one word the entire time we sat there. I couldn't tell if I felt sorry for them because they didn't appear to have anything to talk about or whether I thought they were awesome for being so comfortable in their relationship.

I will admit Mike and I and the kids have done that at home. All of us with books or magazines or homework or colouring. But I can't say it's happened at a restaurant. Now I'm curious, have you ever done anything like that?

5 comments:

Maribeth said...

Never! I think that is the height of rudeness. My husband deserves my attention and I his at an evening meal. Especially if we splurge and go out to eat. My husband is much older than me, and every day I am thankful to have him with me. Why waste the time we have with silence over a nice meal?

Goofball said...

I find it a level of comfort you share with another person too to be able to share such a "silent" moment...alone and yet together. But out in a restaurant that's weird.
However both Jan and i have already been indulged for a bit checking e-mails on wifi or the news headlines

Betsy Hart said...

That is kind-of odd to me...

Bibliomama said...

I wouldn't do it, but who knows? To each his own. I'd much rather that than have to hear both of them talking on cellphones.

Leah said...

what??? If I'm going to take the time to be OUT eating, with my spouse (or friend, or whoever may be with me), I'm going to take advantage of the opportunity to chat and laugh and enjoy the person I'm with, and enjoy being OUT. Don't get me wrong, I can "waste" hours of a day reading, happily, but I rarely get a chance to be OUT. I'd save the book for home!! LOL

Maybe they eat out ALL THE TIME (there are people that just don't know how, or prefer not to, cook) and it was just a regular evening for them????? Who knows. Definately strange, though!