Tuesday, September 06, 2011

what's cooking wednesday south western sauce

Well the weather is turning colder and it's time to start making pasta and soup. mmmm I love this time of year. I'm ready for the shirt in cooking. Bring it on. I was tidying up some recipes and came across this one I had ripped out of a magazine. Yesterday seemed like a good day to give it a try.

Yes I do have a picture, but the cable is missing from my camera and I am not in the frame of mind to look for it right now.

1lb lean ground beef
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
700 ml jar of pasta sauce (preferable spicy)
1 cup salsa
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp tabasco (optional)

Brown beef , onions and garlic until cooked through and drain off any excess liquid. Next add the sauce, salsa, spices and tabasco. Bring to a boil while stirring often. Reduce heat, cover and gently simmer for 10 minutes or so to let the flavours develop. Serve with pasta and top with shredded cheddar, sour cream and/or avacado if desired.

Recipe Notes: Mike and I both really enjoyed this. I cooked it earlier in the day and then reheated it for dinner. I like the flavours to have a long time to marry together. Making it the sauce the day before would be better still.



5 comments:

Lisa~~ said...

Sounds delish and I love things that I can make ahead and reheat.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Jill@RealFoodForager.com said...

HI,
I shared my Walnut Balsamic Dressing with a video and an article about all the different coconut products!

Rose @ Walnut Acre said...

Looks yummy!

Betsy Hart said...

That looks amazing!!

Little Mommy Kim said...

Love your blog! Thanks for hosting the "recipe sharing"!!