Sunday, March 29, 2015

sunday randoms

This weekend was a bit of a whirlwind. I spent it with ML at a volunteer conference. So it was full of meetings, seminars, discussions and team building exercises. Yeah, I did all that and it was fine. I lived to tell you all about it. Here's the thing Shanny a few years ago wouldn't have made that trip for all the gold in the world. Shanny a few years ago would have shriveled up and died at the thought of sitting at a table and having a discussion with people she'd only met 30 seconds prior. Overall it was very good. I learned a lot, heard a lot of good ideas and met some interesting people. I learned I have two dominant leadership styles, participating and coaching, but I can access the other two (delegating and directing) if the situation requires it. That was pretty interesting. I wonder if the people I've "lead" would agree with that assessment?

We also had the chance to watch a TED Talk on Positive Youth Development that was completely fascinating, not just as a leader of young people, but as a parent. It was all about finding a youth's spark and using it to help them thrive. There's definitely a post rolling around in my head about that one. Honestly, I can't stop thinking about it.

To circle the wagons back around to my original point..... Saturday was a full day of talks and meetings, beginning at breakfast and going until dinner time, then we attended a banquet (the food was incredible all weekend!) and by nine o'clock I was done. I may be light years ahead of where I was in terms of how I am able to manage myself socially, but I ended my day completely exhausted. That was a incredible test for the new Shanny and she pretty much rocked it, but jammies, one of my besties and a Jason Batemen movie back in the room as exactly what the doctor ordered.

And to make this weekend completely perfect I got to hug a friend that could really use one and I found exactly what I needed for our spaghetti dinner in the quantity that I needed.

Oh and I stopped panicking about spaghetti dinner coming together. I know we'll rock it just like we rocked the three prior to this one. I always just want this to be the best event I can make it because I don't want to let my Jersey Girls down after all the hard work they put into this and I certainly don't want to let down the people we honour with this fundraising. I am very excited to have the Jersey Girls be a Juravinski Cancer Centre registered team, so all of our fundraising will go straight to the JCC to help with the purchase of a new anesthesia machine. It's an incredible opportunity to be a smll part of such a great community project. If you're local and haven't bought your April 11th Spaghetti Dinner tickets..... you're not going to want to miss this, message me for details.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Sounds like an awesome weekend! I'm proud of you for going to that conference. I'm still in the "shrivel up and die" stage when I think about networking with strangers. EEEP.

Betsy Hart said...

sounds like you did really well! Good job for getting out of that comfort zone!