Saturday, January 23, 2021

2/52 Docs - A Lego Brickumentary

 


 

As a kid I was a casual Lego fan. We had a bin of loose pieces and the thick green base, so I built more than my fair share of multi colour Lego brick houses. My kids, though, were hard core fans. They built many many sets, lots of which are still stashed all over the house, but we also had a big bin of random blocks for them to build whatever they could imagine. All this to say, I am still a fan.

I was expecting this to be a straight up history of the Lego as a company and they did indeed touch on that. I had no idea it was not an American entity or that Lego was their only thing, product-wise. I loved that this documentary branched out to touch on Lego conventions, super fans, Lego niche markets and Lego in the art world. That sort of Lego subculture was really unknown to me and I really enjoyed learning about it. Some of the Lego builds that were showcased at the conventions are simply mind boggling in terms of size and design. 

This one also scored points with me for being narrated by Jason Bateman. I love him, that is no secret. Obviously, it's not a make or break thing, but to my thinking, it was a perk. This was simply a very enjoyable and interesting overview of Lego's popularity, although you do find out they almost went bankrupt in the early 2000's, which I found wild given how much money we, personally, spent on Lego through the 00's. Stay humble, friends.... that's the message. 

We watched this on Amazon Prime Video.

No comments: