Monday, February 08, 2021

5/52 Docs - Perfect Bid

 

I am a 70's kid and as such I have a great fondness for Bob Barker and The Price is Right. I'm not going to lie to you, this documentary doesn't seem to have a lot of the slick production values as some of the others I have watched so far, but the story is interesting enough to make up for it. There is a surprisingly short list of interviewees in this one, but this is overwhelmingly Theodore Slauson's story they are telling, so it makes sense to for his version of events to be the focus. The filmmaker also got Bob Barker to sit for an interview and that really adds to the story they are attempting to tell about TPIR superfan, Theodore and his interest in the game over many many years culminated in an eventual controversy. 

A very small percentage of the doc is dedicated to the scandal, most of the time is spent on Slauson's long history with the show, which, to my thinking, gave weight to his version of events in the end. Additionally, the behind the scenes footage from the show were a treat. Gosh the stage is way tinier than it appeared on TV back in the day. The interviews with Bob Barker and his long time showrunner, Roger Dobkowitz are a definite bright spot. At the end of the day, it wasn't the most dynamic documentary I have watched so far, but I did find the story interesting and the nostalgia level was high. Who amongst us hasn't spent a sick day on the couch playing a pricing game with Bob?

I watched this on Prime.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

I've seen this one too, because I am a TPIR Superfan myself. I just loved seeing the behind the scenes footage and the detail about the line up and how contestants are chosen. I'll likely never make it to a TPIR taping myself but it did inspire me to begin a rigorous training schedule - just in case!

Shan said...

The behind the scenes stuff was my favourite part!