Wednesday, February 16, 2022

53/52 - Schumacher

 

Schumacher (2021) - Given how much I enjoyed the F1 docu-series, Drive to Survive earlier this year this documentary about seven time F1 World Champion Michael Schumacher seemed like a good one to check out. There is a wealth of personal pictures and footage of Schumacher to go along with the interviews from the who's who of the F1 world. There's also great interviews with his wife and children. Michael Schumacher does not appear in this aside from archival footage. He hasn't been seen in public since his skiing accident in 2013.

Ultimately this was an enjoyable watch, but for someone like me who is an extremely casual F1 fan there was a lot I feel this documentary took for granted in terms of my knowledge on the topic. I have seen criticism online that there is very little time devoted to Schumacher's accident, but I can understand his family desiring to protect his legacy and privacy. This documentary portrays him as both a guy dearly loved by his friends and family, but also incredibly aggressive in his approach to racing, which some reviews suggest should have been analyzed a little more for this production. Overall, for me, this was just okay. I didn't feel like a big enough fan of the sport to be truly engaged with this. Legitimate Schumacher fans will likely feel different.

We watched this on Netflix.


No comments: