Thursday, January 12, 2023

What I read in 2022

 For the past couple of years my daughter and I have been keeping what we call our Book of Books. For years I have written down each book I read in one the millions notebooks I have purchased for something special. Turns out I actually did manage to use one of them for something. So my daughter loved the idea of a physical list, but she took her Book of Books one better than mine and she lists title, author, genre and a favourite quote. I loved this idea, but I'm getting better at judging my limits, so I went a bit easier and I now list; title, author and the first line from each book I read. 

 We really round out this experience by exchanging our Book of Books on New Year's Eve/Day, however it plays out, and read them over. We mark which ones were our favourite reads for the year and discuss why we loved them. We talk about the lines we've listed and which ones sound intriguing or speak to us or makes us want to read the book. We recommend books for the other to read and just generally have the best time talking about books for a couple of hours. It's honestly one of our favourite things. I recommend this as a thing to do with your friends or your book club. So much fun.

And without further ado my list for 2022. I'll give you the first line from my favourite reads this year.

1. That Summer by Jennifer Weiner
2. Seven Days of Us by Francesca Hornak
3. The Proposal by Jasmine Guillory
4. Home For Erring and Outcast Girls by Julie Kibbler
5. No One Ever Asked by Kate Ganshert
6. Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owen
      "Marsh is not swamp."
7. The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society by Annie Barrows and Mary Ann Shaffer
8. Welcome to Dunder Mifflin by Brian Baumgartner and Ben Silverman
9. Where'd You Go Bernadette? by Maria Semple
10. To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee
      "When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow."
11. The Rosie Project by Graeme Simison
12. Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
       "When people ask me what I do - taxi drivers, hairdressers - I tell them I work in an office."
13. The Light We Lost by Jill Santopolo
14. The Paris Apartment by Kelly Bowen
15. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng
      "Everyone in Shaker Heights was talking about it that summer: How Isabelle, the last of the Richardson children, had finally gone around the bend and burned the house down."
16. The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave
17. Golden Girl by Elin Hilderbrand
18. Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah
      "They used to be called the Firefly Lane girls."

Have you read any of these?


2 comments:

Goofball said...

none of the titles ring a bell unfortunately. Any that you really want to recommend?

Shan said...

Any of the titles where I have added the first line of the book were my favourite reads of the year. I would recommend those.