Wednesday, March 09, 2005

I guess...

it's a sign of a good relationship, but after 16 years Mike still has the ability to surprise me. We were eating dinner last night talking with Abby and discussing our day. Now Mike's a bit of a restless sleeper and he's usually up at some point through the night. If he's lucky just once, but usually more. Depending on his mood sometimes he'll wander downstairs and watch some TV. So as we're eating he says to me, "Guess what was on TV when I was up last night?" I have no idea, but it must be something "good" if it's on in the middle of the night. "TJ Hooker," he replies. "Do you know who was on that show?" He's so excited about telling me this story he's not even waiting for me to answer any of these questions. "Adrian Zmed," he tells me, "Adrian Zmed can you believe it? I thought he was only in Bachelor Party." At this point I'm staring at him dumbstruck. "And Heather Locklear and she was really bad in it. She really couldn't act at all." Then he goes on to tell me that TJ Hooker made Knight Rider look like Masterpiece Theater. I was in total disbelief, had he really never seen TJ Hooker before? Shockingly it's true my friends. Michael had never before seen a single episode of TJ Hooker.

Now if you don't know Mike all that well you might be asking yourself why is that such a shocking confession. Well let me tell you. Mike is a true child of the 80's. The Warrior by Scandal is in the CD player as I type this. He can't remember to bring home milk or diapers for Abby but he is a walking encyclopedia on things like the Dukes of Hazzard, BJ and the Bear, Knight Rider, the Smokey and the Bandit series, the Rocky series and so on. You want to know what the General Lee's license plate was? Mike's your guy. CNH 320, by the way. Now wouldn't you assume that a guy like that would have watched TJ Hooker? I mean even I used to watch TJ Hooker.

On another note, there's been a flurry of activity around here the last couple of days. Dad and Uncle George installed our new kitchen counter, sink and faucet. It looks so beautiful I'm still in awe. Abby was around for a bit of the project. She just loves to help her Papa. I'm not sure Papa sees it as help though. At one point she was in the kitchen cabinet singing the theme song to Bob the Builder. Can we fix it? Yes we can. Today they finally boxed in the exposed duct work in our living room. No more industrial look for us! Makes me happy because fresh drywall gives me a reason to paint. Predictably Mike is already giving me a hard time about the colour I picked out. I guess one surprise a week is enough.

No comments: