Wednesday, April 26, 2006

What's Cooking Wednesday - Buried Treasure Cupcakes

This week it's all about dessert. I don't know about you, but I live for chocolate cake. Okay, truthfully, any kind of chocolate will do. Chocolate bars, chocolate cookies, chocolate ice cream, chocolate pudding.. oh I could go on and on.

This week's tip: Watch the flyers and when you see a great deal...stock up! This week at Food Basics they had 250 g packs of bacon for $1. They also had chicken weiners, Kraft mayo, Alymer's ketchup, jam, Crispy minis and bagels all on for $1. Mike and I went early this week and bought to the limit on some things, like the bacon. Then we went back a couple of days later and did it again. With such great prices and some caeful meal planning on my part we only spent $10 over on our food budget which I had taken from our "surplus money" this week.

Buried Treasure Cupcakes



2006-04-22 004

1 pkg (2 layer size) chocolate cake mix
125 g (half a regular brick) cream cheese
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1 egg
2 tbsp sugar
48 Mini Oreo cookies
1 1/2 cups thawed Cool Whip

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare cake batter in large mixing bowl as directed on package; set aside.

2. Whisk cream cheese, 6 tbsp of the peanut butter, egg and sugar in a small mixing bowl until well blended.

3. Scoop cake batter, using 1/4 cup dry measuring cup into each of 24 paper lined muffin cups, filling each cup half full.

4. Spoon 1/2 tbsp of cream cheese mixture over batter in each muffin cup. Top with 1 cookie. Cover evenly with remaining cake batter.

5. Bake 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.

6. Mix whipped topping and remaining 2 tbsp peanut butter with wire whisk until well blended. Spread aup cakes with whipped topping mixture. Top with remaining cookies just before serving.

What I would/did change:

Obviously the picture isn't a cup cake. We were having company over and I thought I would try making this recipe in my bundt pan. So I poured half the batter in my bundt pan. Then I placed the peanut butter mixture in a ziploc baggie and cut the cover off and piped it on top of the cake batter and topped with the rest of the cake batter. After that it was into the oven for 38 minutes, give or take. I also used regular old canned frosting instead of the cool whip mixture. Next time I make it I'll omit the mini oreos because they really didn't seem to add anything special to the cake. I always stock up on cake mixes when they're on sale for $1. They're handy to have around for a quick dessert. This was a quick and easy way to dress up an ordinary cake mix. Our guests must have enjoyed it too because half the cake was gone by the time they left.

2006-04-22 005

Here's a cross view of the cake.

Score: 4 stars

No comments: