Wednesday, April 05, 2006

What's Cooking Wednesday - Zesty Tortilla Bake

Welcome to my second weekly theme post. It seems like "what are we having for dinner?" is a question that stymies most families. I love to cook, but it's a question that has gotten to me many times in the past. When I was at work that was a topic of conversation every single day without fail.

"What are you making for dinner?"

"I don't know, any suggestions?"

So each and every week I'll supply you with a recipe my family has declared yummy. If I remember I'll snap a picture of each recipe, so you can see what it looks like when a normal everyday person cooks it, not somebody from the Culinary Institute. If you order today I'll throw in free of charge, a helpful kitchen/meal planning tip.

This week's tip: Head right over to the Kraft website and sign up for their free What's Cooking magazine. Go ahead. Do it now. I'll wait. If you're visiting My Thoughts from the States, it's called Food & Family and you can sign up here. Sure, go ahead. I'll wait for you too.

The majority of recipes I make these days, including today's, come right from this very magazine. I like them because they're fast, easy and usually involve items I already have in my pantry or fridge. The first time I make a recipe I follow it exactly. Or try to, sometimes life or your three year old gets in the way. While we eat dinner Mike and I usually discuss whether we like the dish, what we could or would change to make it better. Then we decided whether or not it's a keeper. Now on to the recipe.

Zesty Chicken Tortilla Bake

2006-04-03 001

1/2 cup Miracle Whip
1/2 cup flour
3 cups milk
1 pkg (200g) Tex Mex Shreds
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup salsa
16 flour tortillas (6 inch)

Preheat oven to 375. Mix dressing and flour in a medium saucepan with a wire whisk until well blended. Gradually add milk, stirring until well blended. Cook and stir on medium heat until sauce comes to a boil and thickens. Stir in half of the cheese. Reserve 1 cup of sauce.

Add chicken and salsa to remaining sauce; stir until well blended. Spoon 1/3 cup of the sauce mixture into centre of each tortilla; roll up. Place 8 of the roll ups seam side down in each of two 11 X 8 baking dishes; top evenly with reserved sauce and remainig cheese.

Bake 1 pan for 25 minutes.
Freeze the other pan.

What we would/did change:

Well I accidentally added all the cheese and salsa to the sauce before I took out the reserved cup. I blame my three year old sous chef. It didn't seem to make a difference. Also in most recipes, wherever it says cheese, I usually use what I have on hand. That night it happened to be mozzarella. Now the parts of the tortillas that weren't covered in sauce got nice and crispy. Mike suggested that next time we bake it without the sauce on top, so the whole top is crispy. The remaining sauce can be added after. He also suggested having traditional taco toppings served on the side so you could jazz your dish up to your own liking with lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and so on.

Score: ****

Pictures and complete recipe will be saved in the Recipe set at Flickr.

I hope you have enjoyed my first attempts at theme posts. Leave me a comment if you do/don't. I love hearing from you... Mom, my most faithful of commenters.

I'll close with adorable pictures of adorable children.... Mine!

2006-04-03 016

How cool is she?

2006-04-03 008

Maya and I, taken by Abby.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds yummy, eddie might even like it, everybody gets tired of the same old same old!
I'm going to try it soon
Love ya

Anonymous said...

oh ya gorgeous girls lol