Wednesday, May 31, 2006

What's Cooking Wednesday - Paprika Chicken with Sour Cream Gravy

Paprika Chicken with Sour Cream Gravy

2006-05-19 Paprika Chicken with Sour Cream Gravy


1/2 cup flour
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp red pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breats
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 8 oz container of sour cream

Mix flour, paprika, garlic powder, black and red pepper on a plate, coat chicken.

Heat 1/4 cup of maragrine or butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Cook chicken 10 minutes or until browned. Set chicken aside.

Add soup and green onions. Heat to a boil. Return chicken to pan. Cover and cook over low heat 10 minutes or until chiken is cooked thorugh. Stir in sour cream.

What we would/did change: Well I strayed from the directions a little bit in that I cooked the chicken and then made the gravy. So the chicken didn't actually simmer in the gravy to finish cooking. The chicken had a nice crust on it that I didn't want to lose. I also used boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of breats because... hello... thighs are cheaper. Overall this dish wasn't a huge hit with Mike. The chicken itself was nice. A little reminiscent of KFC, but not as greasy. The gravy is on the rich side and it was too much with the mashed potatoes I had made. I think it would have been better with egg noodles. I'm not sure the gravy will get another go round, but the coating for the chicken definitley will.

Score 2.5 stars.

My mom had dinner with us that night, so maybe I can get her to do a guest review. What did you think Mom?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike probably would have liked it better if the chicken was finished simmering in the gravy.
Like I said you are becoming your Grandma, she used to make a very similar gravy with mushrooms and we would put it over mashed potatoes Yummy for me!
You can cook for me any time!!!
Love ya
Mom
soon you will have people at your door saying
"Oh I thought you were making buns today!"