Monday, November 13, 2006

Jammie Jams

I am not afraid to say it, I love my jammies. In fact, if it were socially acceptable I would drape myself in velvet wear my jammers twenty-four seven. Although, truth be told there are some days I almost do. The guy who was going door to door campaigning for the local elections will attest to that. Don't worry though, I haven't worn my jammie jams to the bus stop. At least not yet. My Mom tried to hook me up with a long 70's era retro look coat just in case I wanted to start. The idea was tempting, but the coat was not. Now this coat is divine and looks damn good on me too, but doesn't do much to hide the PJ's. Not that I was looking for a coat to hide my jammies or even looking for a coat at all. And now I'm wandering dangerously off topic here. Back to the jammies.

So earlier this month I lost my most favourite pair of PJ bottoms. The were red flannel penguin pants with a cotton t-shirt. They were my Chrsitmas jay's a few years ago. Oh how I loved those pants.

baby Maya 020


I wore them at the hospital when I had the girls. I would wear them when I cleaned the house. When I had a head ache or cramps or when I was just feeling a little meh. Then I noticed they had started to wear a little thin on one knee. Slowly that gave way to a small hole until one night I went to sleep and in the morning woke up with a horrible rent in the fabric from my thigh to my ankle. The penguin pants were finished. I, sadly, balled them up and shoved them in the garbage. It was the end of an era.

Although I was going to miss the penguin pants dreadfully I still had a rather robust jammie wardrobe to fall back on. Now my pink plaid jammies were happy to see the penguin pants go because they got bumped from bridesmaid to bride. Yes sir, the pink plaid jammies were second fiddle no more. They were finally center stage where they could shine. Unfortunately a mere days after the tragic loss of the penguin pants the pink plaids suffered an irreparable accident. Abby A party who shall remain nameless worked her little finger into a small hole which quickly widened into chasm of unbelievable portions. And another pair bites the dust.

I have to admit the loss of both the penguins and the pink plaids was a blow to my heart, but they were old. They'd had a good long life. They certainly didn't owe me anything. My remaining PJ wardrobe was full of young and sassy models. Ones, that frankly, weren't getting much play time with the penguins and the pink plaids being around. There may have been a little rejoicing from my neglected newer jammers. I have to say the pink checked ones really stepped up to the plate. They were my newest ones, a birthday gift this past year I believe. I had little reason to doubt they would be the new top dog. But to quote Billy Joel, "only the good die young." I don't want to go into details about how the pink checks met their unfortunate demise for a couple of reasons. For one, it's still too fresh. I only found their limp and lifeless elastic waist band this evening. Second, my family reads this and trust me Mom, you don't want to know. I still in a state of shock. Half of my PJ wardrobe was descimated in less than a month. I've mourned my losses, but now it's time to regroup. Move on. Rebuild.

NaBloPoMo Blog of the Day - Bread Crumbs in the Butter

What do I love most about NaBloPoMo? Getting to read my favourite bloggers everyday. Chantal's blog is certianly one of my top 5. From what I read on her blog we seem to have a lot in common. We both own the Sweet Valley High Board game. She has admitted to a certain fondness for Beverly Hills 90210 (thanks TVtropolis for airing reruns every afternoon. Oh and thanks for releasing season one on DVD just in time for Christmas... hint hint). When I grow up if I could write half as well and be half as cool as Chantal I'd be doing okay. Go check her out.

No comments: