Wednesday, November 15, 2006

What's Cooking Wednesday - Ginger Snap Cookies

The time of holiday baking is upon us. Personally I like to bake in little bits and then freeze the end result until needed. To be honest with you I've been freezing all my baking lately. I've found it lasts a lot longer that way. A batch of muffins would be gone in a day or two, but in the freezer they stay around much longer than that. I freeze them in individual sandwich bags. Perfect for tossing them from the freezer right into lunches. So today I thought I'd get a jump on my Christmas baking and make some ginger snaps. The recipe came from my neighbour who happened to make them one afternoon Abby was over there playing. Abby immediatley added the ginger snaps to the long list of reasons she'd like to live with them. In a pitiful attempt to lure my daughter back home I begged nicely asked my neighbour for her magic recipe.

Gingersnaps


Ginger Snaps

3/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
4 tbsp molasses
1 egg
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
granulated sugar

Cream shortening and sugar together. Add molasses and egg. Beat well. Add dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Shape into balls. Roll balls in sugar. Do not flatten. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes.

Recipe Notes: These just might be the greatest ginger snaps I have ever eaten. I made some last year from I recipe I have long since forgotten that were really heavy on the molasses taste. This recipe has everything in perfect balance. It's a simple and very quick recipe to make and it has a high yield. The recipe made just over 6 dozen cookies (and I imagine I'll have to make more before Christmas) so it would be great if you were involved in a cookie exchange (Robin I'm looking in your direction). You might want to watch the first batch you bake off. I found 8 minutes left the cookies a little crispier than I liked, so I ended up baking mine for 7 minutes.

NaBloPoMo - Candy Blog

I am a sucker for a chocolate bar. Especially a new/limited edition/special release type of chocolate bar. Chocolate makers, you had me at hello. This blog after my own heart reviews chocolate bars and candy in general. This is a big deal for the chocolate freak who can't be everywhere. I loved reading reviews for candy that you won't see at your local 7-11 or Avondale type convience stores. Sometimes missing out is a good thing. As much as I love me a KitKat bar I don't think I'm committed enough to try this Japanese jem. And I think I may have gained 5 pounds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the recipes, looks great, I am off to try!