Friday, December 07, 2007

friday flashback - the one where grandma was never ready

Well I think it's time to get a little Christmasy with the Friday Flashbacks. My Grandma was a shopper. Abby reminds me a lot of her with her love of the bling bling. My Grandma had an endless supply of Avon trinkets, sparkly rings, brooches and a hat or two. She may have worn a house dress for much of the time, but that didn't mean that your flashiest brooch or your good pearls couldn't go with it. So now you know where Abby gets it from. The great thing about Grandma is she loved to buy for all of us as well.

When I was a kid my Mom and her siblings used to pick names for Christmas gift giving. In a family of five kids and adding in spouses and children well buying for everyone was cost prohibitive to say the least. Grandma though didn't abide that theory and bought for all of us anyway. She would shop through the year, tucking things away for birthdays, anniversaries or Christmas presents.

The thing about Grandma is she was never organized. She was never ready for Christmas. Every year without fail dinner would be finished my Mom and Aunts would be washing up the dishes and Grandma would disappear upstairs to sort out the gifts. When I was a kid it seemed like she was up there forever and us kids would whine and moan, asking when is Grandma coming back down? The grown ups would try to distract us by singing Christmas carols which actually worked, but not for long. Finally after what felt like a hundred years Grandma would reappear, her arms laden with Bi-Way bags. Something only my Canadian friends will understand, but basically it was a grocery bag for you Yanks out there. With the appropriate name written on it in pen. And this happened every single Christmas. In the bag you'd find socks or underwear (remind me to tell you about the year I wore my undies on my head because there was umbrellas printed on them.... oh I guess I just did tell you), your favourite candy (always snickers for Dad) and a little toy or two. Invariably there was always something that she misplaced or was forgotten completely which would explain all the new in package Michael Jackson dolls, the Farrah Fawcett doll, dinky cars, no name Barbies and Tupperware (my Mom had purchased 25 years ago and Grandma forgot to give it to her) that we found as we cleaned up after she passed away.

I miss my Grandma terribly. I wish Abby and Maya could know the joy and love that was in those Bi-Way bags every year.

granny

11 comments:

Kellan said...

I loved hearing about your sweet grandmother - she sounds like one of mine with the Avon stuff. This was a telling story of someone that you obviously loved very much - I wish the were till here too!! TAke care and have a good weekend, Shan. And Thanks for coming over and leaving the nice Birthday wish for my Dad. See ya, Kellan

Family Adventure said...

Lovely memories. It sounds like she was quite the character!

Heidi

Shan said...

Thanks Kellan. She was a wonderful lady. I've thought of her a lot this holiday season as I placed my order with my local Avon lady. She did love her Avon.

Heidi she really was.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful, wonderful story. I'm sure your mom and now you will be passing on traditions and memories that you don't even know about.

Unknown said...

Awww Heartwarming Story as usual...I miss Biway...and I miss the bags even more...Those bags would be an amazing Photoshoot Dress for me. :)

WendyB said...

Great grandma story.

Karen said...

John and I were just lamenting a couple of weeks ago over the loss of Biway. Sigh. It sounds like your Grandma was amazing.

Anonymous said...

Your Grandma truly was an amazing Lady, she could take nothing and make it into so much more. Loving and sharing from the heart.
The original inventor of the gift bag from the BLACK and WHITE BooTeeQue!!
I miss her also!

Shan said...

Oh Suze, you have no idea. The disorganized one now at Christmas is my Mom. I'm guessing in twenty years that will be me.

Heather they totally would. The paper bag dress did have a certain charm about it though. Excellent work.

Wendy, thanks for your nice words and visiting.

Karen, I wish BiWay was still around too. I think I would appreciate it more now than I did back then. And thanks she really was. She'll pop up again on Fridays.

She really could, couldn't she Mom.

darlene said...

what i love about this picture ...is that she sits in the same spot you now live...that is truly amazing...her spirit lives in your home, now that is amazing...and i love that....you are one lucky girl!

Shan said...

I was thinking the same thing Darlene. And you know what the funny thing is? I still have that same table she's sitting at.