Wednesday, January 23, 2008

always letting me know how it is

This past weekend was an "all Maya all the time" kind of weekend, not surprisingly since it was her birthday. Abby handled it fairly well taking into consideration she is only five. The other night found the two of us alone in the bathroom with the door shut. I sat on the edge of the tub while she nattered on about school and took care of her bathroom related business. I thought it was nice to have a quiet moment to be able to focus all my attention on her with no other distractions. When she was "finished" I pulled her onto my lap. When a break came in the conversation I whispered in her ear that I had missed her that day.

There was a pause and finally.....

"Mom, I really just want to wash my hands."

Nothing like a five year old to bring you right back down to earth.

5 comments:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I believe that's what the whippersnappers call "keeping it real" these days ;)

So cute!

roxie said...

Timing is everything. Love it!

Anonymous said...

They grow up so fast don't they. I'm still laughing!

I was once reading my nephew a story and thought we were bonding and he looked up at me so sweetly and said "Your teeth are so big".

Kellan said...

How cute - she heard you though - don't think for one moment that she didn't hear those special words. Take care. Kellan

Shan said...

be - we have a lot of keeping it real moments here.

roxie - yes it is, thanks.

suze - oh that's funny!

kellan - thanks, I hope she did.