Thursday, January 24, 2008

dear maya

Just this past weekend we celebrated your second birthday. It hardly seems possible that you're two already. You're still my baby. My little Doodle Bug. Sometimes I sit and look at you and your sister and wonder what I ever did with my life before you both were in it. I hope I always let you know what a gift you both are to your Dad and I.

These past two years with you, Maya, have challenged me in so many ways. You pushed me to my sleep deprivation limit. I can honestly tell you I almost wept tears of joy that morning three months or so ago that I woke up to find you'd slept through the entire night. We've been going through a little bit of sleep regression this week, but I'm confident that it's just a developmental thing and you'll be back on track soon.

You tested my ability to wait. So much of the last two years have been spent waiting for you. Waiting for you to make your appearance in the world. Waiting for you to be healthy enough to come out of the hospital. Waiting for you to finally sleep at night consistently. Waiting for you to talk. In the last month your vocabulary has exploded and Dad and I are finding you talking in the most adorable little sentences. A lot of little sentences. It's non-stop little sentences around here. Tonight you sat on my lap asking "what you doin'?" twenty times in a row. I guess you're making up for lost time.

You've tested my patience with your temper and the tantrums and the hitting and the stubbornness. It's probably safe to say you get that from me. Your Uncle Dave could tell you stories about Mommy's temper when she was younger, but I'm going to hope that he doesn't. To your credit, or maybe to mine since I think manners are so important, you do always apologize afterwards. And Abby, who's most often your target, is always good natured enough to accept it. A lot of your temper comes from frustration. You can't understand why you can't do all the things Abby does, like drink out of a regular cup or play with the Polly Pockets or a million other things that aren't age appropriate for you.

You're challenging my ability to let go. Now that you're two, according to the "experts" it's time we did away with your bottle, crib, suckie and time to get working on that toilet training. Quite honestly, I don't think you're ready for any of it. You still seem too small and too young to me and it's probably likely that it's really me that's not ready. Although lately you've been trying to claim Abby's room and her big girl bed as your own. Your Dad and I have been talking about trading your crib in for a toddler bed, but just the thought makes me break out in hives. Surprisingly, you've yet to figure out how to climb out of your crib, so I see no reason to rush the process.

I, jokingly, say to people that you are work and you are, but you're supposed to be. If I'm doing this mommy thing right. I wouldn't trade one second of time with you or your sister for anything. You've made me a better person. Happy birthday Doodle Bug, I love you!

Mommy XO

4 comments:

Family Adventure said...

Happy 2nd birthday, Maya! Looks like you're keeping your mommy on her toes :)

Heidi

Kellan said...

What a beautiful post Shan and sweet tribute to your precious little two year old. Happy Birthday to your sweet girl - I hope she had the best time ever!!! Have a great weekend. Kellan

Leah said...

We've got a 2nd birthday on the horizon (in June) and CJ's the BABY and I'm finding it very hard to let him "go" and grow up as well! Isn't it amazing how much we learn from our children, and how much they help us to grow as well? This was a beautiful post. I could relate to each and every thing you wrote, though spread out over my three children instead of just about one. LOL Thank you for sharing the beautiful letter, and Happy Birthday to Maya!

Shan said...

Heidi - she does, but she looks so darn cute while she's doing it.

Kellan - thanks, I hope she did too, but how could she not with all the people who love her most around her?

Leah - thanks and yes, I'm amazed by them both every day.